Why Are Some Glazes Nicer To Deal With?

PottaFella

Cleaning up a pot I just dipped in a transparent stoneware glaze that I purchased in powder form and mixed to a creamy consistency.

I caught the wet pot on the corner of some newspaper I had down so it needed quite a bit of retouching.

BUT it was so much nicer to deal with than my normal powdery cone 6 recipes.

Where I scraped some dried glaze off it came away almost like carving clay - a pleasure to work with!

Are there 'secret' ingredients manufacturers put in their glazes to make them more plastic and easier to handle?

Guest JBaymore

Commercial glazes can have clay/s, gums, or other additives to keep them uniformly dispersed. Although I cannot prove it, I have long held the suspicion that they are also using a dispersing agents.

Nerd

Yup.......

There are two distinct parts about studying glazes........ ONE is molecular formulas.

But the OTHER ... and often overlooked side.............. is the materials sourcing.  (remember packing density?)

BOTH have an impact.

The second part there has a huge influence on 'what's in the bucket'.

We can ALSO adjust a lot of what is in the bucket... by organic additives... that do not remain after firing.

best,

.....................john

Marcia: I think you over-looked this:

glaze that I purchased in powder form

John:

I have been experimenting (my call in life) with mixing stains in a premixed solution of water and 1% T-gum. The solution has a light syrup consistency: which does an excellent job of dispersing and suspending stains uniformly. I have noticed over the years that stains have the bad habit of wanting to settle.

Nerd

(I have noticed over the years that stains have the bad habit of wanting to settle.)

Try Magma from big ceramic store-it will keep rocks in suspension. I love this product when I need to keep glazes from settling.

Since you are working with frits or will be so much you also NEED this product Nerd

Guest JBaymore

glaze that I purchased in powder form

John:

I have been experimenting (my call in life) with mixing stains in a premixed solution of water and 1% T-gum. The solution has a light syrup consistency: which does an excellent job of dispersing and suspending stains uniformly. I have noticed over the years that stains have the bad habit of wanting to settle.

Nerd

If you are using these stains for expressive decorative brushwork (painting designs), try also adding a very small amount of ball clay, a tiny bit low melting frit or a tiny bit of feldspar (based on firing range), and some glycerine. 

best,

.................john

I see a lot of glaze recipes that are low in clay content, and they tend to be powdery when dry on the pot. I always shoot for at least 10% clay in my glaze recipes. I've got some that are closer to 20% clay, and they are super easy to handle.

That's very useful information Neil – many thanks!

"glaze that I purchased in powder form"

Powder form ? Are they pre-mixed? Are they commercial. I mix chemicals like Silica, Epk, etc. I know what is in the glaze.

John:

Nerd

transparent stoneware glaze that I purchased in powder form and mixed to a creamy consistency.

Are you going to share your supplier with the rest of the UK who need glazes that play "nice"?

Chilly, the glaze came from Bath Potters - it's their transparent stoneware glaze powder B288 – very creamy so I think it can probably be diluted quite a bit, else it may go on too thick. I've just fired this on Scarva ES5 at cone 7/8 and it's come out lovely - time will tell if it crazes.

Oddly, I taught an after-school pottery club and they had some really (really) old ^04 glazes from Bath that were lovely to use.  They didn't pan hard, went on nicely, glazed as expected.  I've been so used to Potterycrafts/Amaco/Duncan problems, I'd forgotten about Bath.  Have to place an order.  Wonder what their white is like......

• 1 month later...

I got Michael Bailey's book on ^6 Glazes from the library, and keep picking it up, read a few pages, then put it down and ponder.

I'm now starting to understand why some of "our" conversations on this forum confused me, it's because we do get different "stuff" in the UK to the US.  

Also starting to think I have to buy some more ingredients.  Then again as a pure "hobby potter" with no-one else around who is interested in ^6 firings, it takes forever to test, test, test.

Archived