Select Kiln Elements Not Heating

I recently acquired a Cress FX-27M kiln and replaced the elements. When I tried firing it up, only the top and bottom elements were heating up. There was no temperature chance from the four middle elements. I installed the elements in the correct order according to the labels on each element. I have also checked all of the connections. The kiln itself has been fired many of times since it used to be at my school. 

If anybody could help me trouble shoot this problem you would be a big help. I am a high school student so I don't know too much about electrical work. 

Thanks!

Jared Green

jaredgreenceramics.com

How long did you let it run? Cress kilns have graded elements, meaning the top and bottom elements are made to run hotter than the middle elements, to compensate for heat loss out the lid and floor. You may have to let it ramp to 700 degrees or more before you see the middle elements glow. If you do that and they're still not running, there may be a relay or switch that's burned out.

I just let it run for about 1.5 hours and to about stage 6 on the dial, a little hotter than the first time I fired it up. The top and bottom elements were glowing orange and I had no response from any of the others. They still look like new. Is there a way to test the relays and switches? I'd hate to buy new ones if I don't have to. Do you know where I can find a diagram for this specific model? I've looked all over and can't seem to find one for my kiln. It does not appear to be on Cress's website. 

I just let it run for about 1.5 hours and to about stage 6 on the dial, a little hotter than the first time I fired it up. The top and bottom elements were glowing orange and I had no response from any of the others. They still look like new. Is there a way to test the relays and switches? I'd hate to buy new ones if I don't have to. Do you know where I can find a diagram for this specific model? I've looked all over and can't seem to find one for my kiln. It does not appear to be on Cress's website. 

You should hear a relay clicking on and off. "thumbwheel will advance only when Firemate switch is depressed"

David

The relay is not working properly. I tested the voltage and I was getting 240 everywhere. When I pressed the relay in, the kiln instantly fired up. That explains why it will no longer heat up.

Does anyone have tips for buying and changing relays? Should I get a local kiln repair man to do it for me or is it a simple installation?

Thanks, 

Jared 

The relay is not working properly. I tested the voltage and I was getting 240 everywhere. When I pressed the relay in, the kiln instantly fired up. That explains why it will no longer heat up.

Does anyone have tips for buying and changing relays? Should I get a local kiln repair man to do it for me or is it a simple installation?

Thanks, 

Jared 

It could be what is suppose to trigger the relay that is not working.  Trace the wires from the coil of the relay it may go back to a switch.

David

All of the wires are working the way they should according to the voltage meter. I even tried bypassing the wires with a separate wire to see if that would trigger it to trip and nothing happened. It only triggers with manual contact. 

I'm not sure i completely understand what the coil is you are taking about.

Jared 

All of the wires are working the way they should according to the voltage meter. I even tried bypassing the wires with a separate wire to see if that would trigger it to trip and nothing happened. It only triggers with manual contact. 

Jared 

The coil of the relay is what pulls in the contactor arm, which you are doing by pressing the arm in now.  If there is voltage on this coil and it doesn't pull in than the relay is bad.  If there is no voltage on this coil than what ever is feeding the voltage to the relay is not working, like the infinite switch is not sending voltage to the relay coil.  You are close to finding the problem.  If it is the relay you can replace it yourself.  You should be sure to identify the coil of the relay, because the voltage to it should turn on and off as needed to heat the kiln properly.  Good luck.

David

Jared 

The coil of the relay is what pulls in the contactor arm, which you are doing by pressing the arm in now.  If there is voltage on this coil and it doesn't pull in than the relay is bad.  If there is no voltage on this coil than what ever is feeding the voltage to the relay is not working, like the infinite switch is not sending voltage to the relay coil.  You are close to finding the problem.  If it is the relay you can replace it yourself.  You should be sure to identify the coil of the relay, because the voltage to it should turn on and off as needed to heat the kiln properly.  Good luck.

David

There seems to be voltage on the coil. I'm going to go ahead and order a new relay. I can't seem to find my exact relay, but there seem to be two that are very similar to the one in my kiln. Mine has both PRD-60908 and PRD-71G0. The ones I can find only have the second set of numbers. I'm happy to include more information on my specific part if necessary.

1.https://www.amazon.com/Electromechanical-Relay-DPST-NO-120VAC-290Ohm/dp/B00B888AZ0/ref=lp_10865551011_1_4?srs=10865551011&ie=UTF8&qid=1476583406&sr=8-4

2.https://www.amazon.com/TE-CONNECTIVITY-POTTER-BRUMFIELD-PRD-7AG0-120/dp/B00HRNSWN0

Thanks, 

Jared

Jared 

David

There seems to be voltage on the coil. I'm going to go ahead and order a new relay. I can't seem to find my exact relay, but there seem to be two that are very similar to the one in my kiln. Mine has both PRD-60908 and PRD-71G0. The ones I can find only have the second set of numbers. I'm happy to include more information on my specific part if necessary.

1.https://www.amazon.com/Electromechanical-Relay-DPST-NO-120VAC-290Ohm/dp/B00B888AZ0/ref=lp_10865551011_1_4?srs=10865551011&ie=UTF8&qid=1476583406&sr=8-4

2.https://www.amazon.com/TE-CONNECTIVITY-POTTER-BRUMFIELD-PRD-7AG0-120/dp/B00HRNSWN0

Thanks, 

Jared

I would call Cress for the relays.  The coil voltage is wrong for the Amazon relays, you will need 240 volt AC coil.  You probably don't need 2 relays, only the one you push in manually.

David

Archived