Removing Rk2 Wheelhead/alternate Splash Pan

Hi guys!

I bought an old Shimpo RK-2 Ringcone Poppet that came with only half of a two-sided splash pan. I'm attempting to put a full-circle splash pan off, but can't get the wheelhead off to put it in. I got the one tightening screw out that is perpendicular to the wheel shaft but can not get the wheelhead off. Is there more to do?

Alternately, is there another two-sided splash pan that works well enough so I don't have to deal with taking the wheelhead off? This one looks actually like an old Brent B splash pan. It fits ok—not super tight but I'll take what I can get!

post-78358-0-84134000-1468357870_thumb.jpg

post-78358-0-84134000-1468357870_thumb.jpg

I had to use a wire brush to scrap all the build up off first. I placed the wheel sideways and applied liquid wrench every few days around the wheel head, shaft and screw hole and tapped wheel head with rubber mallet. Came off after a couple weeks. I think I used a couple of pry bars as well. Cleaned it up the rest of the way and greased it and slides on and off with ease. My ringcone poppet still has it's metal splash pan. My other RK2 has the square base that only holds the one piece splash pan. If you throw a lot and use a lot of water you might want to think about adding a fitting into the drain pan and attaching a hose to a bucket. this allows for continuous use and makes clean up easier. Wipe slop to the hole and rinse with water. Good luck.

Archived