I need to calcine some materials, so i have a few how to questions.

I was told to simply put the materials in a bisque bowel and fire them.  Currently don't have any Bisque lying around.  Can i use a Stainless Steel bowel instead?

Also, I need to calcine EPK Kaolin and Alberta slip.  Do they get the same or different temperatures to calcine?

I would only have the calcined materials in the kiln.  Firing to around 1300 is useless for anything else, so no other Bisque would be in the kiln.  Also SS is routinely used in glass kilns for slump molds at around that temperature and does the kiln bricks no damage at all.

Never fired a stainless bowl to bisque temp you are on your own. Why not make some greenware-you fire the material in the green bowl or whatever form you have when its green. Fire it to bisque with the material you want to calcine. Metal is usually not fired to 1800.

Never fired a stainless bowl to bisque temp you are on your own. Why not make some greenware-you fire the material in the green bowl or whatever form you have when its green. Fire it to bisque with the material you want to calcine. Metal is usually not fired to 1800.

OK, was not aware I could put the powders into green-ware.  I thought it needed to be Bisque.  So hitting cone 04 wont be too high, I only ask as a post I read said be careful not to burn/brown the materials but did not specify at what temperature that would occur.  

I calcine ball clay and kaolin in my bisque to 04 all the time. It works fine. You can use green or bisque bowls. Doesn't really matter. I wouldn't use steel just because the kiln is expensive and who knows how that bowl was made and what might happen. I mean is it worth your kiln? I don't know if anything will happen, but I don't think its worth the risk even if it works 100 times. 

There is no need for a special calcine fire -just fire material in your pots or sculpture when you bisque them. 

As far as metal I only trust metal up to about 1,200F after that dull red heat it can deform or worse.

There is no need for a special calcine fire -just fire material in your pots or sculpture when you bisque them. 

As far as metal I only trust metal up to about 1,200F after that dull red heat it can deform or worse.

So I make sure I have this right.  It is OK to put the materials to be calcined in either Green Ware or Bisque and fire to 04.  The Bisque can then be used, after cleaning out residual powder, dipped in glaze and fired to glaze temperature with typically no negative effect.  Correct?

Archived