Typical Kiln Load Packing

jrgpots

Jed -- I split this to be a separate topic as it seems a bit different direction.

Not sure there is a typical load profile. My kiln has three zones, so it fires rather evenly and without hot/cold spots. Some kilns with single zones (one thermocouple) may have areas that fire hot/cold. The other consideration for my kiln is the thermocouple locations; I tend to work around them when loading as I do not want a shelf (and its heat mass) right next to the thermocouple where it could mess up temperature readings. From a shelf stability standpoint, I load tall items last as kiln posts are generally shorter and I prefer not stacking posts more than two high. I do stack tall items on the side of the kiln with the thermocouples; that give more flexibility on the other half for loading shelves where you don't have to take the thermocouple into consideration.

I start with a medium height, loading 6-8" on the bottom. I try to load fragile pieces first, fill the space around them, and quickly put a shelf down to forget all temptations of adjusting+breaking. Do not put wet* work on the bottom.

After that, get the awkward pieces in and fill around them with the small stuff. The density should be high as you can manage! If you have tall (10"+) pieces they almost always go on the top. Measure the tallest and try to space the shelf below it to that height.

*I have to fire student work on a timeline sometimes.

For my large oval I fired shorter pieces on the bottom to hold the heat when cooling. Both side columns denser to the top than center sq. shelves. I place a shelf just below the hole in the center of the lid. I don't have a vent as the kilns are in their own building,

For my smaller kiln for a glaze I'd put 6-7" in the bottom, denser in the middle, then filll in the top with what is left. I finish off staggering with half shelves 

I guess it depends on the type of kiln. I had a routine for a 40 cu ft  gas kiln at the university for classes. I loaded and fired 2 xs/wk. 9" bottom back 6 or 9 in front. denser in the middle, a little denser on the top front than back. 

Marcia

I start with the shortest stuff on the bottom.p for glaze firing. Figuring shorter posts are more stable than tall ones. I also use my whole shelves first which plays into firing shorter things like plates since there is no seam. I have a small kiln with one thermocouple and make sure my shelf stacking keeps this in mind. On the thermocouple level I place a cone as well. I do tall stuff towards the middle/top and if needed use half shelves to fit more in if the pieces are really tall that way I can put half tall half multiple shorter shelves. As I approach the very top I will swing back towards short to fill it to the brim.

T

Archived