Central Vacuum For Clay Studio

Mark C.

I'm working on a idea for my studio that involves a vac system which would be outside.

I put in a few central vacuum systems over the past decades (one is in our house )

The unit is outside and you just plug a hose into an outlet the noise and dust go elsewhere and gets caught up in a bag.

I have found a dust deputy made by Oneida air systems (they make that cyclonic dust vacuum they advertise in CM) that takes about 98% of all dust and clay and captures it before the dust gets to the vacuum-this also has a bag. This etc units work in tandem .

The reason one should not use a vacuum in a clay shop is loose dust but this system would not have any dust only suck.

With the dust deputy hooked to a heap shop vacuum you get the same results but I'm thinking forget the shop vacuum and hook it to a central vacuum outside shop.

The system would cost about $650 and you can use a hepa bag in central vacuum if you want-I'm not sure this is needed in my case as the dust is blown into a field far away from any humans or animals-The heap bags are under 50$ so its no big deal really .

just wondering if anyone else has tried this? I'm almost ready to buy the parts and build it.I see no down side for the studio

The vacuum will suck dust and trimmings and its industrial sized-the metal can in 1st chamber in the dust deputy is a 10 gallon metal can.the second vacuum is a 6 gallon bag.

I already have hepa air handler in shop that reprocesses my air every few minutes

one last note I was going to buy the Makita VC4710 shop vacuum for pairing with the dust deputy as it has a hepa self cleaning feature and is highly rated but I already have two shop vacs and the central Vacuum is cheaper and moves all the noise and dust outside.

I'm very interested in seeing how this works out for you.  I would personally do it, it's a great idea. Dunno why I never even thought about central vacuum system for our studio before reading this, I've never had one in my home but my parents neighbors had one when I was growing up and they loved it.

Vaccum and evacuation/ventilation systems are what I'm trying to get funding for to add into my studio to upgrade what we've got now.  Everyone should have at least something, even if it's just a box fan pointed out the window.

Currently we have a very nice and very expensive Nilfisk HEPA vacuum.  It's an AWESOME vacuum, but the size is ridiculous (it's around 3'x3'x4') and not practical for doing certain tasks.  Having a port I can simply plug a hose into every 20ft or so, instead of wheeling around that monster would be fantastic and maybe the students would actually clean! hahaha yeah right!

I was just at KC Art Institute ceramics lab last week and I was oogling over their central dust collection system too.  Not sure if theirs has enough suction for vacuum purposes, but every room had ducting pulling negative pressure and they also had individual work-station extraction arms tied into the same duct system so you can do tasks with dry powder right in your face without a respirator.  So jealous!

Wood workers have used the plug in system for years with stationary power tools and shop ports scattered around.-you can get a very powerful unit for under 500$

I have used Nutone brand a few times

The issue with Nifisk is that they do not self clean the filters say like the makita and as with any system the true cost is in the filters in the long run. The more I research the more the central unit makes sense.

Wood workers have used the plug in system for years with stationary power tools and shop ports scattered around.-you can get a very powerful unit for under 500$

I'm very familiar with these types of systems, most woodworkers have them.  it's the one that gets plumbed to an outdoor unit that I thought you were talking about.

Mark:

You already know the metes and bounds of how many outlets, and total linear feet of tubing it is rated for. The only real issue is discharge: which there may be a quick and cheap fix. Assuming the dust collector is three stage HEPA,: the outer ring is just high density foam. That same foam can be bought as coil stock in the humidifier replacement section at Lowes/Home Depot. Just forego the fine particulate third stage filter and replace the prefilters on a more regular basis. My 2¢.

Nerd

I'm very familiar with these types of systems, most woodworkers have them.  it's the one that gets plumbed to an outdoor unit that I thought you were talking about.

Yes its mounted outside-there are many choices-Mine is narrowing to maybe this one

Imperium CV800B power unit coupled with an Oneida all metal dust deputy.

Looks like about $900 plus a anti static hose.

When I get a studio that is a closed in space I plan on doing this. Right now I just open my garage door and run a box fan. I have a ton of wind in my area and it blows right by my garage sucking the air out of it as it goes. Let us know how it goes if you do it mark. 650 seems cheap for the ability to do this.

• 2 weeks later...

Update

I got the metal dust deputy and some parts and hoses from Oneida. Its cyclonic collector that empties in a metal 10 gallon can with plastic bag liner bag.

This unit collects 99% of material that passes thru it. The metal central vacuum has not yet been ordered-My plan is to order- Imperium CV800B power unit which has a six gallon hepa bag. Both units live outside studio. I'll run one 2 inch outlet into studio under the floor. I plan on using an 25 foot anti static 2 1/2 inch hose that will reach all parts of studio. 

The noise and any dust will all be outside. I'm out of time this month with shows and travel . I'll finish up in May with this project..

I should have done this about 30 years ago.

Archived