Kiln Vent Issue

ronfire

I installed a kiln vent and tested it as per instructions to test for negative air pressure in the kiln. Also checked the air flow into the top vent holes when the kiln is almost at temp with good results of air moving into the kiln. The exhaust pipe is also warm to the touch.

Now comes the issue, when the kiln is close to shutting down on both a bisque or glaze fire I find the area around the kiln has an acidic smell that makes me cough. I can not find a reason for this issue when the vent is working an drawing air into the kiln. 

All the duct work is furnace heat duct with all the connections skewered and taped. the duct work is touchable. Maybe the coating on the duct where it connects to the kiln is an issue. I only notice the smell when the kiln is almost finished. I will have to look under and see if it is reacting to the heat. I have a 2 sped fan and it does not seem to make a difference if I change it to high. Never thought it could be the galvanizing on the sheet metal duct work where it contacts the bottom of the kiln on my home made  system.

Just did some searching and found zinc does not rect until 907 c. This might be the issue. I will throw in the pyrometer on the outside of the kiln bottom and see whet the temp gets to.

Archived