Raw Materials

Marko

See... I started mixing my own glazes in New Zealand with donated materials. Took out all possibilities of actually knowing what was in "potash feldspar" or if it was different from the other half bag I had. I mixed 5-gallon bucket batches for studio use, I have little worry about maintaining exactly the same result. The last 20% was probably cross-contaminated anyways!

Which brings up a big question: how important is being able to exactly reproduce a glaze with time? 

I also make very fast and playful tests on the first go around. Explore the possibilities with spoon accuracy. Testing does not have to be tedious!

Woodash/Neph Sy test

Woodash and Nepheline Syenite for ∆6 test piece

MARKO,

you are just starting out so get as many ingredients in 50 pound bags as you can.  not the stuff you only use a little of, just the big stuff.  silica 325, feldspars, frits, the things you see in lots of recipes.  whiting, dolomite, kaolin...............................

MARKO,

you are just starting out so get as many ingredients in 50 pound bags as you can.  not the stuff you only use a little of, just the big stuff.  silica 325, feldspars, frits, the things you see in lots of recipes.  whiting, dolomite, kaolin...............................

I have. But I had to buy some less than 50# bags because my supplier in San Antonio didn't always have enough for everyone. And now they are closed. But I have another supplier in Austin. And they are a bigger supplier. So next time I will be buying 50# bags and making notes on the contents. Thanks.

don't keep them in bags.  transfer the dry materials to plastic rubbermaid tubs that you can open and close without scattering dust all over the place like bags do.

I have been putting my chems in 5 gal buckets with 1 gal plastic jars on the shelf for easy quick use. I do label them all. Thanks. 

that's good.  it will allow you to keep track as you are mixing a glaze.  put all the ingredients in your recipe out on a table and as you use them return the container to it's proper place.  if you are interrupted you know you are at the next line of the recipe.

that's good.  it will allow you to keep track as you are mixing a glaze.  put all the ingredients in your recipe out on a table and as you use them return the container to it's proper place.  if you are interrupted you know you are at the next line of the recipe.

I start by cleaning my area for mixing so that I don't have any clutter that will make me lose focus. Then, when I have my recipe on my right side (right handed), my My Weigh scale in front of me, with scoops, and a test batch container (I use a 2.5 gal bucket) on my left side, I'm ready to go. I start by taking the first ingredient from my shelf (I use 1 gal and .5 gal plastic containers), weigh it into the bucket and then place it in front of my scale, immediately. This tells me that I have already used it. Check. So even if I forget to check it off my list, I know that I did add it, because it's in front of my scale. When I finish, I double check my recipe, then put back the RM back on the shelf. But, since I have no friends or family that ever visit me, I only have to tell my wife that I am not to be disturbed. And I will not answer the phone till I'm done. If it's important they can leave a message. 

Archived