Kiln Elements

ronfire

Elements are not all the same. Who knows what kind of wire they are using for those and if they will last. Plus they need to be the correct resistance, length, wire gauge and coil diameter. If you've got the time and money to potentially waste, and are willing to risk doing damage to your kiln then give it a try. Personally, I'd stick with elements from the manufacturer.

Ron, you could give Euclids / Pottery Supply House a call and ask how much for elements. It's the same place Greenbarn uses to buy elements from for custom orders. I don't know what Greenbarn's markup is but I'm guessing they are adding something on, shipping a clay box size order from PSH is around $12-  Their website can be confusing, in the States they go by Euclids, in Canada they go by Pottery Supply House, same building.

We buy spools of element wire from them.

I was doing some researching and found that the coil elements they sell on eBay etc are not the A1 elements but a lower temp element. Would not be hard to wind your own, just need to find the right gauge A1 wire. Length is determined by the resistance and diameter can be measured off the original coils.  I don't need a set yet but it would be good to have a set on hand for my old Skutt 231, don't know how many more element changes the bricks can take.

Hoping the Canadian dollar gets better to the US so I can buy a new L&L  and retire the old kiln, might save it for bisque work.

Archived