Firing Small Slab Rolled Tiles Stacking Suggestions

Mug

I have a small electric kiln 18" octagon 24" deep and 400 or so standard 240 paper clay tiles .25" x 1.25" x 3" to 7" long to fire. I will be firing these to cone 6 with no glaze. I was wondering if anyone would have any kiln stacking suggestions.

Ideally I would like to keep them flat. I wasnt real sure if I could get away with laying them flat in stacks of 3 per shelf with some wax alumina hydrate to keep them from sticking to each other. Any help would be great, I would really hate to loose a whole kiln load of tile

I have never fired alot of slab work, unless it was for test samples, the samples were fired flat on the kiln shelf, but space at the time was there. These are on the thin side, the edges are rounded a bit from clean up and will probably not stand on edge well without leaning them or maybe some sort of spacer. I will give this a try and see how it goes

Bciskepottery, it's good to hear that they should'nt stick together. I guess the alumina would be overkill.

If I stacked them on top of each other, whats the most in a stack that you would go?

Chilly's post had some great pictures.

Chilly's post had some great pictures.

Those tiles had a slight curve to them from drying, but didn't get any worse in firing.  I was really pleased with the end result, even though I fired the kiln twice when I had hoped to get away with just once.  I also only fired to ^06.

Archived