Water Recycle In Dry Studio

Marvin Horn

Like many here , I operate in a dry studio meaning all water must be carried in and out.  Settling buckets help, filter systems only add a new problem and I'm still searching for the ultimate solution.   I  live in the center of a major dairy area and the thought occured that maybe a cream separator could provide a contineous stream of clear water,  Small electric units aren't terribly expensive. 

Has anyone ever tried this?

Thanks for any thoughts.

Marv

I'm not at all familiar with how a cream separator works, but I imagine it's not made to work with materials as abrasive as clay and glaze ingredients. I would check out if there are seals, bearings, etc. that will be ruined by the clay. For example, I go through a lot of submersion blenders here at my studio because the bearings wear out.

I am in the process of draining my 50 gallon rain barrel for the winter. I yse this water for throwing and slaking clay scraps. Cannot let it sit over the winter as it would freeze solid, and the barrel would become round on the bottom. All my throwing and trimming scraps get saved in 5 gallon buckets, then dried on plaster bats. I do eventually have to bring water from the house, but this rain water from the barrel lasts me all summer and into the autumn.

A cream separator works on centrifugal force. I don't think it is what you want for your needs. Simply settling your clay in one or two five gallon buckets works for me.

TJR.

I have a dry studio also. I recycle all my scraps in a 5 gallon bucket then onto plaster slabs.

I put dry scraps to soak in water. I use a mixer on a long shaft. I also have an old mixer on a stand that I used for processing local clay hooked up to a 1/4 HP motor.http://community.ceramicartsdaily.org/gallery/image/3737-mixerapart-smcopy/

Here is a good video by John Britt showing how he does it.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/19210735881506952/

Marcia

Archived