Clay Mixer Help! So Not Sure What I Can/should Buy!

Sscott

Ok need some help! I'm a full time teacher and play with hand building in my free time but do sell at a gallery. I get dry clay from our local brickyard and have had it mixed at the school but the guy doing it now hates to do it and doesn't do it well. Soooo want to look into clay mixing myself. However, I can't afford a clay mixer so I've looked at other options like making a special barrel to roll around, modifying a cement mixer and using an industrial doug machine. I did find one that's a 20 liter smaller mixer for &350. I have no idea if it's going to be a good idea or not. I know it'll mix smaller amounts which might be good for me, arthritis in my thumbs. Any ideas or help or just to let me know I'm way out in left field would be great! Thanks a bunch!

Welcome to the forum.

I;m not sure where you are located (on this planet) but oldlady said it right clay is cheap so buying it would be your best bet.

If you have a thing about the brickyard clay a cement micer will not work. If you are near some population center (I have no idea where you are?) then I would try craigs list (still not sure if there is a craigs list in your country as you mentioned liters?)for a mixer or also there are some public/federal/state/county auction sites that also have these at times for cheap.

If you really want to mix clay by hand add lots of water mix (its easiers when wet goo slip) then dry it out for use.

Mark

mark, you must have noticed how many new posters do not enter their locations.  it is probably not reluctance on their part, but an inability to post it.   i have said this before THE SOFTWARE IS NOT FRIENDLY, IT TOOK ME A VERY LONG TIME TO GET MY LOCATION ACCEPTED.  telling "management" about this does not work.  

the site is free, we have to accept less than good.

Sorry, I didn't know you would want to know my location. I am in Fairbury, Nebraska. I use the local clay because it's dirt cheap (ha ha) at $5/50 lbs. it's also kind of an advertising point as the gallery is American handmade. However, if buying is my option, I will maybe need to go that route.

I make clay regularly
I broke my teeth making clay here
There is a thread. Making clay 101. Or something like that..... Lots of info there
I started slurry mixing clay.
I've mixed in walker and peter pugger , blue bird even peter pug deairing....
By far the best quality clay is with slurry technique.

The point here is you really don't need specialized clay equipment.

abbreviated technique
mix dry ingredients with hand held drill like tool
Then. Mix in water to thick milkshake consistency
Then slowly dry the "slurry" until it's wedgeable.
The first time and I still use today
Drill
Paint mixer/ paddle
5 gal buckets
Pillow case
"Root maker" pot. / clothes baskets/ cloth shopping bags
Scale
Dust mask
Equipment wise you can make clay for under $50

But I agree with most. It's hard work it's dirty it's often not cost effective
But I too use local ingredients. And my clay is amazing. And I still make my own.

If this doesn't workout for you there are more options

Concrete mixer is a no. It will need modification to work
Dough mixer is better but 20 liters is prolly too small

I've scaled 5 gal bucket technique up to Trash can volumes/. 350 pound ish yields

Are you using endicott?

I just finished making a batch of clay barrel method, it's my own mix and I only needed a couple of hundred pounds.  I use to make all my clay,  premade clay got cheaper and cheaper and I finally decided that my time was more valuable. I pay 30/100 for local clay,  pardon the pun but your gettting it dirt cheap.  Denice

If you need to make clay in any sort of volume, it is not worth your time, or the wear and tear on your body. Clay is cheap, no matter how much you're paying for it. whether 10 cents a pound or 75 cents a pound, the cost of materials in making pots is almost negligible. For 70 cents worth of good porcelain I can make a $26 mug. If I could make my own porcelain for 30 cents a pound would I do it? Heck no! because in the time spent making the clay I could make a bunch of pots that are worth far more than what I would save in making my own. Plus, you should only be mixing your own clay if you have the proper ventilation setup, which the vast majority of potters who make clay do not have. It' not worth the health risk to save a few bucks. If you need a custom mix, most clay suppliers will be happy to do it for you.

Yes I'm using Endicott clay. I looked at my supply store and it's about 45-50 for 50 lbs. but it takes me a pretty long time to go through that. I could try going with 25 lbs then I'm not storing it either. I think I'll skip mixing it, you have me convinced! I will buy some from supply store and try it and I'll go back to buying Endicott through our art teacher if they can mix it right. If not I'll quit using it. Thanks for the help!

From a sales perspective Self made local clay !!!!

Lucie made clay in 5 gal buckets

Do you have the endicott recipe.... Does it stay red at higher cone?

My ventilation system is outside, stand down wind with n-100 partial face mask

Sorry to see you quit on making clay.....

I won't quit using it, just not going to use if for everything.  I want a white clay as well, which they do have, but I would need to mix it.  I will just purchase the white for the few things I want to do with it.  I primarily will be using the red (Endicott) because it works for my cat feeders and little gnome guys but vases and water tight didn't go so well and I don't have the time to figure out the chemistry involved.  That will be for when I retire or over the summer.  Right now I need to get things made for a garden art show and am in a time crunch between that and teaching.  So, I'll improvise for now.  I don't know Endicott recipe... I have fired at 04 and 06 (when I need to do both clay and glaze) and it's red at either.  How high did you want to go?  I can probably find out the info for you if you are really interested!  

From a sales perspective Self made local clay !!!!

Lucie made clay in 5 gal buckets

Do you have the endicott recipe.... Does it stay red at higher cone?

My ventilation system is outside, stand down wind with n-100 partial face mask

Sorry to see you quit on making clay.....

In the midwest, the outdoor mixing option is only available for about 6 months of the year.

Archived