Pitting

Sunny

It was for my daughter, I told her I would let her look at it and see if she still wants it the way it is. If not, I'll refire it. I don't think anyone would want it the way it looks anyway.  So it will be a good test piece.

Firing to cone 4 with a soak of 45 minute's will give you the same heat work as a cone 5 firing and cone 5 will go down.  This is done in industry where a long soak is required.  To refire a platter would be difficult unless you slowly bring it up to say 1800 F deg and then continue with a glaze firing. Any soak over 10 minutes is going to start on a path to overfiring.

David

L&L in there control manual doesn't recommend a hold time unless you are monitoring your kiln with cones.  This means their controller is continually adjusting to give you the proper heat work as the elements age and your kiln loads change and the firing time changes.  To be sure you are getting cone 5 buy some cone 5 self supporting cones and place in the kiln.  As far as the bisque goes if you add a hold you are changing how much the clay body will absorb water and this could be a problem.  The slow  and fast bisque is designed to burn out the impurities in the clay which happens around 1000 to 1200 deg F.  I am sure the kiln is fine.  But if the glaze needs more heat work add some hold time but be carefull about this as over 10 minutes can rapidly start the next cone to bend.  Also you mentioned using Laguna and Amaco glazes I am not sure how they react if one is placed over another.

One final thing, if your glaze needs a slower rise for the last ramp you will have to make a vary program and find out how a slower rise will then affect the top temperature needed to get the same heat work. go to www.ortonceramic.com and look at cone resourses.

There is a disk available, you probably will have to ask them for it.

Yes, it does seem to be a constant learning experience.  I'm kind of hesitant on using this yellow on anything again. You know, come to think of it, I do remember when I was painting it, little bubbles came up through the paint. I just kept going over it.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived