How To Get A Clear Satin Glaze

PeppernPatches

I have been mixing a Cone 6 clear gloss glaze that is very stable and consistent. It's a Glossy Clear Liner recipe (see below). However, the super shiny surface makes my pieces look "plasticy". It also changes the clay body color dramatically. I have two questions: 1) Does anyone know how to modify this recipe so it's less glossy? I don't want a matte finish. I would like something between satin and semi-gloss. 2) Will changing the sheen effect the clay body color somewhat? Thanks!

GLOSSY CLEAR LINER   100G

G-200 FELDSPAR  20

FERRO FRIT 3134  20

WOLLASTONITE  15

EPK KAOLIN  20

TALC  6

SILICA  19

TOTAL 100

Do you still want it to be transparent?

From what I have read matt, semi-matt glazes can be produced in a few ways. Having a lower Si/Al ratio, under firing the glaze or a slow cool.

You could try taking out 5 of the silica and adding 5 extra of epk to see if that gets you closer to what you are looking for. There are magnesium matts which I think are helped by a slow cool so you could try adding a little more talc.

I would start with a slower cooling cycle if that's a possibility. Otherwise, you can get away with increasing EPK and reducing silica and still stay within limits. I'd test 3% increments. As it becomes more matte you will lose transparency, so don't go too far. The silica to alumina ratio is currently high enough that you should be able to knock down some of the glossiness and still stay nice and clear.

YES, I would like a satin clear glaze that is transparent. The glossy clear liner is great because there's no cracking, the coverage is consistent and even, but it looks too shiny and plastic. 

I use both red and white clays. Mostly where I see a problem though, is with my red clay that I use white slip over, then I carve designs into the clay. I leave the outside unglazed, but the inside of the bowl needs clear glaze. See here:

Kapa bowls

I will try adding a tiny bit of EPK to my existing batch to see if it makes a difference. Just wondering if anyone has a satin, semi-gloss recipe that s very different from my current glossy liner, for when I start a new batch. 

Thanks again!

Archived