Glaze Recipe For A Christmas Green

Around this time of the year, I am always looking for but can never find tht Perfect Christmas green to use in the Cone 5 oxidation firing. I use different clays from Highwater purged to Moon White to porcelain. Just trying to find something that would be easy to compound or more easily purchased. Anyone found or have such an item?

I have used one from Michael Bailey's book on ^6 Glazes. It is a mat glaze cobalt and rutile colorants. That book is a really good resource and tech book for glazes.

It is similar in discussing glaze technology like mastering Cone 6 Glazes. I forgot about that glaze until I pulled a bowl out of the cupboard tonight while getting dinner ready.

I tweaked it a little to make it smoother, This is very like an Arts and Crafts Period Mat. With clear on it, the cobalt fluxes blue. See latest piece in my gallery under forum discussions. I can't load into this because my allowance is full.

Cobalt Green

Neph Syenite was 64.8 increased to 65

Spodumene 13.9

Gerstley Borate 4.6

Ball Clay was 7.4 decreased to 7.2

Whiting 4.6

Silica 4.7

bentonite 2

Rutile 2

Cobalt Carbonate 1

Marcia

Guest Sherman

Accidently posted a bowl while trying to post the green plate jpg. The green plate is obvious. Wish I could delete the bowl to avoid confusion. Guess I needed that second cup of coffee.

Marcia

Marcia,

I deleted that image for you (I think only admins or moderators can do that). I'll look into making that capability available to the person uploading images---as well as the limit on attachments.

Thanks for all your good work!

Sherman

Not to contradict the "big guy," but users can edit and delete their own images from the Member's Gallery. It's kinda convoluted, but can be done:

1.Be sure you are signed in.

2.Click on "Gallery" in the Forum menu ("Forums," "Members," "Gallery,""Ceramic Arts Daily")

This will open a page called "Photo Galleries." There should be a box on the left called "Members Gallery" (in White font.)

3. Click on the link "Members Gallery" link.

This will open the member's Gallery and you can find your photo(s) there.

4.Click on the photo you want to remove. It will open in its own page with lots of information on it.

5. On the right side of the page, there are three buttons: "Report Image," "Set as Avatar," and "Mod Options." Click on "Mod Options."

6. A drop down menu appears, with "Edit Image," "Move Image," and "Delete Image" as choices. Just click on "Delete Image."

7. Confirm that you want to delete it.

8. Your image is removed from the Gallery.

It can be kind of confusing, but is easy once ya get used to it.

Guest Sherman

Not to contradict the "big guy," but users can edit and delete their own images from the Member's Gallery. It's kinda convoluted, but can be done:

1.Be sure you are signed in.

2.Click on "Gallery" in the Forum menu ("Forums," "Members," "Gallery,""Ceramic Arts Daily")

This will open a page called "Photo Galleries." There should be a box on the left called "Members Gallery" (in White font.)

3. Click on the link "Members Gallery" link.

This will open the member's Gallery and you can find your photo(s) there.

4.Click on the photo you want to remove. It will open in its own page with lots of information on it.

5. On the right side of the page, there are three buttons: "Report Image," "Set as Avatar," and "Mod Options." Click on "Mod Options."

6. A drop down menu appears, with "Edit Image," "Move Image," and "Delete Image" as choices. Just click on "Delete Image."

7. Confirm that you want to delete it.

8. Your image is removed from the Gallery.

It can be kind of confusing, but is easy once ya get used to it.

Ha, that's great. That's exactly what I did, but because I have "moderator" access and my interface is often different from the typical user's, I had simply assumed that the "mod options" meant moderator options and were not available to all.

Good to know---thanks for looking out. And you're right---it's kind of convoluted.

Sherman

I have used one from Michael Bailey's book on ^6 Glazes. It is a mat glaze cobalt and rutile colorants. That book is a really good resource and tech book for glazes.

It is similar in discussing glaze technology like mastering Cone 6 Glazes. I forgot about that glaze until I pulled a bowl out of the cupboard tonight while getting dinner ready.

I tweaked it a little to make it smoother, This is very like an Arts and Crafts Period Mat. With clear on it, the cobalt fluxes blue. See latest piece in my gallery under forum discussions. I can't load into this because my allowance is full.

Cobalt Green

Neph Syenite was 64.8 increased to 65

Spodumene 13.9

Gerstley Borate 4.6

Ball Clay was 7.4 decreased to 7.2

Whiting 4.6

Silica 4.7

bentonite 2

Rutile 2

Cobalt Carbonate 1

Marcia

I have noticed quite a few formulas on here that call for the Gerstley Borate. I have about 50 lbs left from years ago, but don't use it in formulas much anymore as it is now not mined, or at least that is what I remember being told. Did they start it up again, or are people now using the Gillespie Borate. How do you like the switch. Most of the potters I have spoken to in my area are fine with it. Any negatives out there?

Guest Sherman

I have noticed quite a few formulas on here that call for the Gerstley Borate. I have about 50 lbs left from years ago, but don't use it in formulas much anymore as it is now not mined, or at least that is what I remember being told. Did they start it up again, or are people now using the Gillespie Borate. How do you like the switch. Most of the potters I have spoken to in my area are fine with it. Any negatives out there?

Pres (and all),

Sorry for highjacking this topic and steering it toward images. I really should have just sent a message to Marcia concerning her image. At any rate, Pres, it sounds like you need to start a new topic (since this one's not really about Gerstley borate). In fact, there may be a discussion on it in the "Clay and Glaze Technical" forum. If you do a search at the top of the page for "Gerstley borate," about 40 posts come up--mostly in that forum.

Thanks!

Sherman

Hi Pres, (and Thanks Sherman)

I still have about 200 pounds of gerstley borate.. I have used laguna Borate and Hamill and gillespie Borate with satisfactory results.

Marcia

Thanks, sorry Sherman about the jump in topic. There are just so many recipes out there that work with the gerstley borate,and I did know about the replacements, just curious how others like them. I'll check the other threads.

Archived