8 replies to this topic

#1 Fuad

Fuad

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 12:19 PM

Hey fine folks!

So some small holes I need to fit head pins through (20 gauge wire with a wider flat head at the end) got glazed over and filled in.

Is there a drill bit that I can use on glazed porcelain to open it back up? Will I risk breaking it? Don't want to remake it!

Thanks!!

#2 Min

Min

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 534 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 08 May 2014 - 01:02 PM

Dremel with a diamond burr (bit). To have the burr last longer dribble some water onto the clogged hole so the burr stays wet. The dremel will want to jump around on the glazed surface, I've had better luck with a fast speed. 

#3 Darcy Kane

Darcy Kane

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
  • Locationnorthern New Hampshire

Posted 08 May 2014 - 01:03 PM

Whenever you touch ceramics with a drill bit you risk breaking it.  Is it useful without a hole?  If yes, and you can't bear to live without the piece, then leave it be.  If the piece is only useful if it has a hole in it, then go for it with the smallest drill bit you can find.  Once you have a starter hole you can use a larger bit to increase the hole size.  If you are really scared to loose the piece and need to ensure its best chance of survival, take it to a jeweler and have them drill it out with a diamond bit.  good luck!

#4 Pres

Pres

Retired Art Teacher

• Moderators
  • 2,066 posts
  • LocationCentral, PA

Posted 08 May 2014 - 01:47 PM

I would use the dremel with a diamond bit. A little 3 in 1 oil will help some, keep the bit from getting so hot that it melts the adhesive holding on the diamond dust.

In the future you should probably bevel the inside and outside of the holes in the leather hard stage, and when glazing make certain to clean out the holes. The beveling seems to keep too much glaze from gathering in the hole.

Simply retired teacher, not dead, living the dream. on and on and. . . . on. . . .                                                                                 http://picworkspottery.blogspot.com/

#5 Pugaboo

Pugaboo

Lifetime artist 2nd year potter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 401 posts
  • LocationHelen, GA

Posted 08 May 2014 - 05:44 PM

I too use a Drexel with a diamond bit. Make sure to use the oil or water in the hole to make your bit last as long as possible. It is also a good idea to put a piece of wood under the piece so when you drill through the glaze successfully so you don't drill into your table. I have rescued jewelry pieces this way. I use small stuff like pendants to initially test out glazes and sometimes the glaze runs a tad more than expected, if I like it on the little pendant do up a full test tile if I still like it do a small bowl and then use on a real piece.

Terry
The world is but a canvas to the imagination - Henry David Thoreau

#6 Fuad

Fuad

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 11:10 PM

Thanks guys! Off to Home Depot in the morning!

#7 alabama

alabama

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationSlapout

Posted 16 May 2014 - 12:34 PM

Hey,

I have been using the diamond tipped bits for years now, but did not know about the oil or the beveled hole.

Of course I used the tips for marking tools, making medallions in bone-dry clay tablets, but I also had good results

etching the exterior of black, navy blue, and other dark colored glazes.  I also etched some drinking glasses when I found out

how toxic it would be to etch glass with acid.... and they turned out pretty good.  I drew the pattern first with a Sharpie, went over

it with the dremel, and then washed off any markings with a soapy Scotch Brite pad.  Harbor Freight had something, much smaller

than a Dremel called an engraving tool that does the same thing.  They have discontinued the best tool...it was more like a dremel pencil

engraver..10 years ago they were about $6.50 each...cheap enough to be disposable.  The new model is larger and about $8.00 I think.

Alabama

#8 John Hertzfeld

John Hertzfeld

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationToledo, OH

Posted 17 May 2014 - 04:52 AM

Harbor Freight Tools (if in your area) have diamond rotory tool bits for really cheap, I get all my consumable parts and one-off tools there.

#9 Pres

Pres

Retired Art Teacher

• Moderators
  • 2,066 posts
  • LocationCentral, PA

Posted 18 May 2014 - 06:44 PM

Years ago I did some glass experimenting with a small sandblaster. Really worked well to put designs stenciled on glasses, and pottery.

Simply retired teacher, not dead, living the dream. on and on and. . . . on. . . .                                                                                 http://picworkspottery.blogspot.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users