2 replies to this topic

#1 BGraceKelly

BGraceKelly

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationHattiesburg, MS

Posted 26 February 2014 - 06:18 PM

Hello, I recently was given an old Amaco electric potter's wheel no. 1-101.  The wheel has not been used in a long time.  The wheel head does not switch to the correct direction for throwing.  There is also a knocking noise when the wheel is on.  I have a basic diagram of the parts and wiring that came with the wheel, but can't figure out where to begin troubleshooting the problem.  Any advice will be appreciated.

#2 Pres

Pres

Retired Art Teacher

• Moderators
  • 2,090 posts
  • LocationCentral, PA

Posted 26 February 2014 - 10:26 PM

This wheel was a two speed, direct drive wheel. If the wheel is going in the wrong direction it may be someone reversed leads on the motor. It was never very strong, as it would handle 10# at the most. We used ours for a motorized banding wheel, and for very light 3-5 # throwing. If you are just learning to throw, may work, but the lack of variable speed will be frustrating if you have learned on another wheel. As to the knocking, sounds like there is a bolt loose on the connection to the motor. Look to where the two join together and see if anything is loose. Another thing to check is if the bearing is loose up on the shaft to the wheel head.

Simply retired teacher, not dead, living the dream. on and on and. . . . on. . . .                                                                                 http://picworkspottery.blogspot.com/

#3 Benzine

Benzine

Socratic Potter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,724 posts
  • LocationThe Hawkeye State

Posted 26 February 2014 - 10:46 PM

I've had a couple of these wheels in two of my classrooms. They work well enough, in a classroom setting. All that I've ever had, had some age, and never made such a sound. I would check what Pres suggested.

I have yet to figure out, why they sell these wheels for so much, even to this day.
"Anything worth believing, is worth questioning"

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Amaco wheel repair, amaco, electric wheel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users