23 replies to this topic

#21 Pres

Pres

Retired Art Teacher

• Moderators
  • 2,071 posts
  • LocationCentral, PA

Posted 12 February 2014 - 08:08 PM

As I have posted earlier, I have a bag of GB that is from maybe 15 years ago when I first could afford to put an inventory of materials in. After a year or so decided to base more in the frits and other materials. I find it interesting that a lot of glazes still list GB as a component even though it has proven inconsistent in results.

Simply retired teacher, not dead, living the dream. on and on and. . . . on. . . .                                                                                 http://picworkspottery.blogspot.com/

#22 neilestrick

neilestrick

Neil Estrick

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,752 posts
  • LocationGrayslake, IL

Posted 12 February 2014 - 10:33 PM

Norm, you've just pointed out one of my other issues with many Gerstley glazes- they rely on it too heavily as a suspension agent. And when there's a problem with the Gerstley, or they find themselves running out in their studio one day because they forgot to buy more, they not only have to deal with replacing the boron, but also with keeping it in suspension. Relying on one ingredient so heavily in a glaze, for formula and for suspension, is not a smart way to formulate a glaze in my opinion. If EPK ever runs out I can easily find another clay to put in the formula to keep it in suspension.

I really don't think anyone on this forum cares who is selling the Gerstley. If my mom was selling it I still wouldn't use it. So again, how about backing off on the personal attacks? This is simply an exchange of ideas. And I think we're getting tons of great info out there for every one to read. Keep it civil.

Gillespie Borate is the same price as most frits, so I'm surprised you keep bringing up the cost as an issue since so many of glazes you've talked about on the forum have frits in them.

I'm done with this thread, too.
Neil Estrick
Kiln Repair Tech
L&L Distributor
Owner, Neil Estrick Gallery, LLC
www.neilestrickgallery.com

neil@neilestrickgallery.com

#23 Norm Stuart

Norm Stuart

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 10:42 PM

That's exactly why Gerstley Borate is the ideal base ingredient for a glaze.  There's very little that needs to be added to make a complete glaze.

How much bentonite do you use with Gillespie Borate frit?

#24 JBaymore

JBaymore

• Moderators
  • 2,993 posts
  • LocationWilton, NH USA

Posted 12 February 2014 - 10:45 PM

I am (unfortunately) locking this thread since it has deteriorated in non-productive manner and is no longer carrying the spirit of the helpful and courteous Ceramic Arts Daily atmosphere we wish to promote here. 

I can assure you that the Mods and Admins are looking into this matter, as to how we arrived at this place.

best,

.................john

CAD Forums Moderator

John Baymore
Immediate Past President; Potters Council
Professor of Ceramics; New Hampshire Insitute of Art

http://www.JohnBaymore.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users