Cone 8 Kiln But Dealing With Ceramics

I just bought a cone 8 kiln and I have just started getting into ceramics.  If I put in one of my ceramic platters with the glaze and bisque on it, in my cone 8 kiln would I melt the ceramic in the kiln?  Also can I still use the cone 8 kiln and just only have the ceramic in the kiln for a lesser time or would the kiln still melt the ceramics away?  I've used a kiln that only fires at cone 06 and 04 and that is what I need for my ceramics but I got this cone 8 kiln and was just wondering if I can use this cone 8 kiln and just do it in a lesser amount of time?  Someone please help me I'm a beginner in ceramics and I really need some guidance of knowing what to do.  

Here is a link to a cone chart.

http://www.clay-king.com/kilns/pyrometric_cone_temperature_chart.html

Your kiln will go to Cone 8 as a maximum temperature. Your activities don't seem to need to go that high. This is easier on your kiln. There is no problem for it to fire lower. Read your manual. If it is a computer controlled kiln, make sure you set it for the correct temperatures. All this can be a bit intimidating if you are new to all of it. Maybe get a basic book or do some research online so you have a broader understanding of what is happening.

Marcia

You've got a Duncan kiln. They are no longer made, but Paragon has parts and manuals. Go HERE for the Manual (should be the right one). The Kiln sitter device is what will turn your kiln off once the proper amount of heat work is reached. You'll have to buy small pyrometric cones to go into the sitter. The cone will have to be the right one for your clay and glaze (cone 04, for example). Your clay and glaze should have the same cone rating.

I'm not trying to push you away, but there's a lot to learn, more than we can teach you here. Taking a class at your local art center or community college will be the best way to learn the basics. You should have a basic understanding of cones, firing ranges, clay and glazes before you start firing. You can do a lot of damage to your kiln if you over fire it. We can definitely help with specific questions, but we can't walk you through it all in this setting.

That is an old kiln. I never saw that type of switch before. It will work for you. As Neil says, the right cone selection is crucial. The cone will melt and shut off the kiln..ideally. Use the timer as a safety back up. And check the kiln...maybe use witness cones the first several firing to see how all is working. Call Paragon and download a manual.

Marcia

Shmeegs.

I agree with the other folks, you definitely want to have a clue in what you are doing. All said and done it is not complicated. When the kiln says it fires to Cone 8 that means it fires to approximately 2305 degrees Fahrenheit. Your low fire work at Cone 06 fires at approx. 1830 degrees Fahrenheit, Cone 04 fires at approx. 1940 degrees Fahrenheit. Your clay and glaze will determine the temps. There is a process that you have to go through to bisque fire your work and for a process for glaze firing. You will also want to make sure that the kiln is working properly, all parts working as they should. I am sure finding a ceramicists in your area to teach you all of this won't be a problem. Best of luck!

Archived