Glaze Order Finally Shipped Do I Need To Worry About Frozen Glazes?

Pugaboo

I placed an order for some glaze back in November and they were back ordered and I just got a shipment notice today. Do I need to worry about them freezing in transport? Is there any way of telling if they froze during shipment if there is an issue with them having frozen?

Terry

Yes, I'd worry some. Whether they arrive frozen or not, I'd give a call to the vendor and ask if there will be problems. Then I'd call the manufacturer and let them know one of their distributors is shipping their glazes during freezing weather and ask them if there will be problems. Don't be surprised if the you get different answers. Glazes can freeze and be thawed, but you need to re-sieve them to make sure the ingredients have not separated. I'm a bit surprised they'd ship until the freezing weather gets better. Many distributors will not ship if there is a chance of freezing.

Great... I ordered them in November to avoid having to order them in January and February when it's more likely to freeze. I'll put in the calls and see what I need to do. What kind of screens... As in what mesh size would I need to sieve them with?

Next year I will plan even better and place my final glaze orders in October.

Terry

I Never use pre-made commercial  glaze but freezing may not be good for some types. Make sure you thaw and mix well before using. I would think the small containers would  bust open if frozen?

I also would assume they know its going to freeze and not ship anything that could not take it this time of year. Certain items like  some wax resists and latex mask and mold rubber casting compounds should not be allowed to freeze.

Mark

When glazes freeze, they often settle out rock hard when they thaw. It can be difficult to impossible to get them mixed up again. When clay freezes, as it thaws the water migrates to the outer edge of the block, leaving a mushy outer layer and dry firm core. It can be pugged or wedged to make it useable. The vendor should not be shipping clay or glaze when freeing is likely. When I was a tech for a clay supplier, we would sometimes have dozens of pallets lined up waiting to ship during cold spells.

You might see it you can postpone it until the forecast looks favorable,  I get medicine shipped from Florida monthly.  When I found out they were going to ship it when it was 14 below here,  I called and moved it forward 3 days.  Even though they would have to replace it if it froze why go through all the hassle.  Denice

I placed the order over a month ago and was told then the glazes were back ordered. I was not notified of preparation of shipment only that the box had already shipped so did not have option to delay which I would have done if asked. There are a couple gallons of Coyote Celadon glazes and a couple other pints of glaze. I have emailed the shipper already letting them know my concerns and asking if they packed the glaze with the frigid cold in mind. According to UPS the box is scheduled to be delivered here on Monday. Tomorrow I will contact Coyote and ask if I need to be concerned or not if the glaze has frozen and what I can do about it if it has frozen.

That's pretty much all I can do at the moment. As I said previously in the future I won't order any glazes after October.

T

Archived