Sign in to follow this  
mrcasey

Light Blotchy Looking Surface

Just got some bonsai pots back from the glaze firing.  The picture of the 614

on the Laguna website has a much darker color than what I've gotten.  As you can see from the pictures, the pots are a light orange with lots of weird blotches.      

The pottery overseer does all of the firings.  When I spoke to her about my disappointment, she

mentioned that the kiln might not have quite gotten up to correct temperature.  Can anyone tell

from the pictures what might have gone wrong?  

thanks,

Casey                

post-58857-0-29554000-1384823370_thumb.jpg

post-58857-0-97950900-1384823400_thumb.jpg

post-58857-0-29554000-1384823370_thumb.jpg

post-58857-0-97950900-1384823400_thumb.jpg

This pot was not glazed and supposed to be fired to cone 6.  I wanted to just have the natural

color of the vitrified clay.  It is supposed to be a darker brown.  The clay is Laguna WC 614.                    

Was it created in a studio that uses a lot of lighter colored clays? I find handling greenware while loading a kiln of different colored clays sometimes transfers lighter clay dust to darker clays that show up after firing.

We do use a lot of white clay for throwing.  My pots had already been bisque fired and were slated for the 

"glaze" firing.  I'm told that another person's pots came out looking a bit strange as well.  When I tap the pots they do have a

bit of the high pitched ring.  Don't know if the pitch is high enough to indicate complete vitrification ...