Using Texture Rollers

I have a bunch of texture rollers that I made with PVC and hot glue.  Recently MKM has come out with little rollers with beveled edges that let the user make a large sheet with the texture pattern and no lines where the passes of the roller come together. 

Do any of you have good ides about how to avoid these lines with the regular straight edged roller I already have?  I used a wood file on one to soften the squared edge, but that did not make much difference.

do you have access to a grinder or mechanical sander?  and the skill to use them, of course.  practice with a plain piece of pvc and learn a new skill as you go.  spinning the pvc as you work on a stationary abrasive machine will help not overdo one section.

You'll need to trim the end of the roller over a greater distance to avoid lines - round off the corner @ approx 45° but then you'll need to come back along the rolling surface about 3/8" -1/2" at a very shallow angle (and probably re-instate/tidy up the chamfer on the end when it's done).

If you picture what's happenning when you roll one of these over clay the solution will be obvious, you need the last part of the roller which is in contact with the clay (the offending ends) to have no discernable edges - the depth which you press into the clay will have some bearing on the matter too - the heavier you roll the more you'll need to trim from the roller.

Archived