A New Kiln Conversion Project: What Would You Do?

Oh, my.  Holy helpful.  Thank you, John.

I realize now I also had the motive of making the space smaller inside, because: 1. I'm overwhelmed by the size and afraid I won't be able to fill it; and

What ever space you had left, will be reduced by another 30-50% for shelves, posts, space between the pieces etc.

You are also cutting off really nice chunk of available height :(

2. Perhaps the burners won't be big enough.

Sure they are. I thought You did calculate the required energy per h for the size of your kiln.

Sure as hell hope these books can help with my vocabulary.  Just because I don't know what I'm talking about doesn't mean I need to sound like I don't know what I'm talking about.

Yes they will and you will rethink the chimney configuration ;)

Cheers

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The point is the more sideways you go with a tunnel the taller the stack to offset the sidways tube.

I would put the damper on the horizontal plane at a convenient hieght. You will need some special sized bricks which are a tad larger than your damper. These usually are called splits and are 1 1/8 thick and 41/2x 9 -I hope these books come soon for you.

Leggos and bricks you will find are different proportions.

Mark

Books arrived (Oh my, you guys should have shut me up at page one, telling me to just wait for the books!  Also, I see and love the horizontal damper now.); spoke to Marc Ward (Burner plan changed - now two MR-100s.); got brick order nailed down (250 Medium Duty - Maryland on this page - at $1.23/each).   Made 12 jars of pesto.  A big day!

So if we said wait for the books before planning a thing you would have just waited??

You can mail me some pesto at my address at web site as well.

Just decide on a damper to use (measure thickness) and buy 6-8 splits or make your own.

Mark

• 1 month later...

I'm back. Both John and Neil mentioned in this thread making the chimney smaller than 9 x 9. If I were to get into the fun of cutting bricks for every course, to make that hole smaller, I wonder:

1. What are the advantages to the smaller size hole? Besides saving bricks?

2. Is there some sort of recommendation or formula I could use to determine the proper opening size?

p.s. I ended up with the bricks one better/hotter than I mentioned here, for $1.23/each.

Archived