Sign in to follow this  
Kristin_Gail

A New Kiln Conversion Project: What Would You Do?

Mart    23

Oh, my.  Holy helpful.  Thank you, John.

I realize now I also had the motive of making the space smaller inside, because: 1. I'm overwhelmed by the size and afraid I won't be able to fill it; and

What ever space you had left, will be reduced by another 30-50% for shelves, posts, space between the pieces etc.

You are also cutting off really nice chunk of available height :(

2. Perhaps the burners won't be big enough.

Sure they are. I thought You did calculate the required energy per h for the size of your kiln.

Sure as hell hope these books can help with my vocabulary.  Just because I don't know what I'm talking about doesn't mean I need to sound like I don't know what I'm talking about.

Yes they will and you will rethink the chimney configuration ;)

Cheers

Mark C.    1,806

The point is the more sideways you go with a tunnel the taller the stack to offset the sidways tube.

I would put the damper on the horizontal plane at a convenient hieght. You will need some special sized bricks which are a tad larger than your damper. These usually are called splits and are 1 1/8 thick and 41/2x 9 -I hope these books come soon for you.

Leggos and bricks you will find are different proportions.

Mark

Kristin_Gail    12

Books arrived (Oh my, you guys should have shut me up at page one, telling me to just wait for the books!  Also, I see and love the horizontal damper now.); spoke to Marc Ward (Burner plan changed - now two MR-100s.); got brick order nailed down (250 Medium Duty - Maryland on this page - at $1.23/each).   Made 12 jars of pesto.  A big day!

Mark C.    1,806

So if we said wait for the books before planning a thing you would have just waited??

You can mail me some pesto at my address at web site as well.

Just decide on a damper to use (measure thickness) and buy 6-8 splits or make your own.

Mark

Biglou13    202

wait....

isint it legal to ship pesto across international border?

i think its ok only if its made with pinenuts  and evoo

Kristin_Gail    12

I'm back. Both John and Neil mentioned in this thread making the chimney smaller than 9 x 9. If I were to get into the fun of cutting bricks for every course, to make that hole smaller, I wonder:

1. What are the advantages to the smaller size hole? Besides saving bricks?

2. Is there some sort of recommendation or formula I could use to determine the proper opening size?

p.s. I ended up with the bricks one better/hotter than I mentioned here, for $1.23/each.