Amateur Needing Help

Hi,

My name is Maria and a somewhat amateur at pottery

This is my first post and I'm so glad to have found this forum!

I have a kiln and bought a potter's wheel of Shimpo RK-3E.

Watched a video on YouTube where the craftsman made ​​a slip. I was delighted.

He works on the wheel and with the raw clay begins to decorate with a liquid using Slip Trailer Applications.

Does someone could help me, informing the liquid that is used to decorate the raw clay is Engobes or underglaze?  :blink:

I want to buy the product and would like to really know right.

If Engobes, should I buy liquid or powder?

And Underglaze can use the raw clay?

I thank those who help me  :)

First of all ... I have never seen anyone decorate that way before ... Awesome. I would say the slips are made from the same clay as the pot with colorants added. He makes it look easy but I suspect it is not.

The brush in the second video ... That looks like a brush used by many intricate pattern decorators ... when I asked one where he got it the answer was they make a thick brush out of a specific animals hair then trim away all around until there are only a few strands left in the center and about a half inch of full brush below. This way the brush accepts a very heavy load of ink which trickles out a bit at a time through the few central hairs. That is why they can keep one solid line of pattern going for so long.

First of all ... I have never seen anyone decorate that way before ... Awesome. I would say the slips are made from the same clay as the pot with colorants added. He makes it look easy but I suspect it is not.

The brush in the second video ... That looks like a brush used by many intricate pattern decorators ... when I asked one where he got it the answer was they make a thick brush out of a specific animals hair then trim away all around until there are only a few strands left in the center and about a half inch of full brush below. This way the brush accepts a very heavy load of ink which trickles out a bit at a time through the few central hairs. That is why they can keep one solid line of pattern going for so long.

Thank you Chris Campbell

It really is an amazing job. 
I believe the liquid can be Engobes or Underglaze.
Do not you think?
The brush the second video Also thought it was done the way the decorator said.
But I bought this brush photo. I have not received.
I want to see if I get the same-effect.
You know this type of brush?

I think he is using matching slip but I would not bet the farm on it. I just think that the way it lays on the surface and melds suggest a matching clay body. Underglaze is so wet I think it would keep moving. Isn't engobes just another word for thick slip?

The brush I saw was homemade ... The bristles were much sturdier than the one in the picture and the base was wider. It almost worked like an old time fountain pen feeding the ink from the base. They worked a long time without pausing to reload the base.

I think he is using matching slip but I would not bet the farm on it. I just think that the way it lays on the surface and melds suggest a matching clay body. Underglaze is so wet I think it would keep moving. Isn't engobes just another word for thick slip?

The brush I saw was homemade ... The bristles were much sturdier than the one in the picture and the base was wider. It almost worked like an old time fountain pen feeding the ink from the base. They worked a long time without pausing to reload the base.

Engobe is basically a liquid clay (slip, in English) used to coat and coloring parts modeled in clay still raw. Thus, the engobe may have different color from the part being painted.

For example, when you want to cover a piece of white clay that receive a blue transparent glaze.

The engobe is applied to the raw clay and moist (in point leather) so that both shrink together during drying. It should be the consistency of yogurt more liquid.

Thanks for the info Marcia. The potter made it look easy but as I thought about how I could do it myself I was overwhelmed by all the things I would need to learn just to get the slips to run in the right places and stop when they should ... not to mention his effortless even placement of the decoration. I never considered that each slip would have to have a different weight/thickness.

my neighbor brings me examples of "good pottery" when he goes to see his parents in bulgaria.  they look like these pots.  all i can do is say i wish i could do it.  someone last year showed a youtube of Polish pottery.  wow...........

Archived