Photo
- - - - -

What Is The Most Incorrect "rule" You Ever Heard For Pottery?

by special request ...

• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#61 Wyndham

Wyndham

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 370 posts
  • LocationSeagrove NC

Posted 17 July 2013 - 01:15 PM

THat video wore me out. Beside $200, beside not being centered, Amaco has such contempt for pottery as to put that on the market.

BTW there are some great tools I use, an electric wheel. I tried a treadle wheel and almost killed myself. Some old time Georgia potters got a kick out of seeing me beat myself up with a treadle wheel once.

A deairing pugmill, unlike Robin Hopper, I don't like being a wedging apprentice for a summer.

A centering arm, being near on to 67 and having to make a living at this game, I'll use anything that keeps the arthritus away.

Don't have one but saw a ball opener once and an 87 year old potter open and pull 10-25lb water cooler bases in a half hour.

(Marshall Pottery in Texas 1990)

His words were, "If you're going to make a living as a potter, get the best tools and learn how to use them"

Comment of the day, customer comments,"It nice to have a hobby like this, how do you make a living", while standing in my gallery with 300 pots around her.

Biggest myth,"Make pots and people will find you", you better do more to let them know where to find you. :)

You can;t make some of this stuff up.

:) Wyndham:)

#62 Benzine

Benzine

Socratic Potter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts
  • LocationThe Hawkeye State

Posted 17 July 2013 - 02:37 PM

I don't need that tool as I only buy pre-centered clay.

I've got you beat Chris.  The clay I buy is pre-centered, pre-thrown, pre-trimmed, pre-bisqued and pre-glazed.  It really does take quite a bit of the work, out of the process.

"Anything worth believing, is worth questioning"

#63 oldlady

oldlady

single firing an electric kiln to cone 6

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 808 posts
  • Locationharpers ferry west va and pinellas park fl

Posted 17 July 2013 - 09:10 PM

hey, guys, i am the person who introduced the bailey quick trim at the nceca conference in tampa!!!  that was me showing the tool for the first time to the world.  it was such fun that i did not even get to see anything else at the conference.   i spent years in marketing and had a marvelous time bringing all that out at nceca.

mr giffin had a fit!  

i think i will have to see that video, bailey filmed me with a cell phone.  by now, it ought to be professionally done.

OMG!!  I DID NOT READ YOUR POST CORRECTLY, JIM !   HOW AWFUL!  COULD NOT WATCH MORE THAN THE BEGINNING!

"putting you down does not raise me up."

#64 Pam S

Pam S

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • LocationDurham, NC

Posted 17 July 2013 - 10:25 PM

The most ridiculous one I heard from another potter is that using metal wisks for mixing glazes ruins it by leaving microscopic pieces of metal behind'  she always used wood spoons.     Denice

This woman would die of shock if she saw what we use for breaking up settled glazes! An emersion blender!

"Saving just one dog won't change the world, but it surely will change the world for that one dog."

#65 Mart

Mart

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 02:12 AM

So, getting back to the topic "What Is The Most Incorrect "rule" You Ever Heard For Pottery?" I recall someone telling me: "You have to stuff the kiln as tight as you can when glaze firing"

#66 atanzey

atanzey

-

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • LocationSouth-Central Pennsylvania

Posted 18 July 2013 - 06:03 AM

In fairness to the 'wire wisk denyer', I used to have a bunch of wisks that rusted so badly that if you ever used them in a white glaze, it wouldn't really be white anymore.....  So depending on the actual equipment and glazes, there could be a valid point there, buried deeply.....  I think my imersion blender has a stainless blade.

Alice

#67 OffCenter

OffCenter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,372 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 08:21 AM

Off topic but since Pugaboo is having problems wedging I thought she might get a kick out of a neat way to clean the inside side of her computer screen: http://songdrops.com...g-screen-clean/

Jim

E pur si muove.

"But it does move," said Galileo under his breath.

#68 Claypple

Claypple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • LocationReno, NV

Posted 18 July 2013 - 09:00 AM

Off topic but since Pugaboo is having problems wedging I thought she might get a kick out of a neat way to clean the inside side of her computer screen: http://songdrops.com...g-screen-clean/

Jim

This video is hilarious! If we had the "like" button showing you the number of times somebody liked it (like we had before), you would get 20+.

Talking of which; Moderator, we also need the buttons like: "I didn't like it at all", "What are you talking about?!" , "Wow, that is really crazy", and "I cannot believe I am reading it!".

#69 oldlady

oldlady

single firing an electric kiln to cone 6

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 808 posts
  • Locationharpers ferry west va and pinellas park fl

Posted 18 July 2013 - 01:04 PM

A centering arm, being near on to 67 and having to make a living at this game, I'll use anything that keeps the arthritus away.

Don't have one but saw a ball opener once and an 87 year old potter open and pull 10-25lb water cooler bases in a half hour.

(Marshall Pottery in Texas 1990)

i understand that all that stuff you see in gift shops made by campbell is made with a jigger and jolley and the fingermarks are applied to the finished piece.

"putting you down does not raise me up."

#70 Benzine

Benzine

Socratic Potter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts
  • LocationThe Hawkeye State

Posted 18 July 2013 - 02:17 PM

Jim

This video is hilarious! If we had the "like" button showing you the number of times somebody liked it (like we had before), you would get 20+.

Talking of which; Moderator, we also need the buttons like: "I didn't like it at all", "What are you talking about?!" , "Wow, that is really crazy", and "I cannot believe I am reading it!".

I don't know about that.  When we used to have the negative buttons, people would use them, seemingly out of spite.  I'm still not sure how Jim has recovered, from the reputation assault he received a couple months ago.  To be fair, it was his fault.  He should have known better than to give an honest opinion.

"Anything worth believing, is worth questioning"

#71 Pugaboo

Pugaboo

Lifetime artist 2nd year potter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 373 posts
  • LocationHelen, GA

Posted 18 July 2013 - 03:23 PM

Jim

Too funny. Mine actually are very helpful and try to clean my iPad from the outside of course. I am so used to it I don't even notice the smudges any more but there's been a few times I've taken it out to show someone my portfolio and realized OMP ( oh my pug) my screen is a mess. I just smile and say my Pug models are very paws on or maybe I should say tongues on. Lol thanks Jim for the smile!

Terry
The world is but a canvas to the imagination - Henry David Thoreau

#72 Claypple

Claypple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • LocationReno, NV

Posted 18 July 2013 - 07:28 PM

When we used to have the negative buttons, people would use them, seemingly out of spite.  I'm still not sure how Jim has recovered, from the reputation assault he received a couple months ago.  To be fair, it was his fault.  He should have known better than to give an honest opinion.

I got bombarded once, got lots of (-), so I responded by posting this photo: Attached File  708198_6006232565597_65371_n.jpg   3.26KB   3 downloads

What I got in response just killed me and I gave up. 

I was asked: "What is he holding?"  and "What does it mean?"

#73 Mark369

Mark369

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
  • LocationLouisville,Ky & Indiana

Posted 23 March 2014 - 01:46 PM

It will fire out!    Yea if it is ^03 clay in ^10 firing!         If they where air bubbles, one would see 1/2 the pocket on inside of piece.

Its not real "Raku" unless it breaks.

Warped pots can be re-fired upside down to fix.

Everything tastes better with cat hair in it !

Curiosity may have killed the cat, but it died knowing something! :wacko:

#74 High Bridge Pottery

High Bridge Pottery

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  • LocationNewcastle Upon Tyne. England

Posted 23 March 2014 - 05:42 PM

All those clay beauty secrets and face masks. I have been working with clay for a few years and yet to see any improvements in my looks. My hands are also very dry.

I also got told about the air bubbles, I have fired many air bubbles into my work with no problems.

1384226_215924051918490_1181728069_n.jpg

#75 Mug

Mug

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationNorth Eastern Ohio

Posted 25 March 2014 - 08:52 AM

If it comes to down to bad advice, You Tube has it's share.

I some times think you should have to pre-qualify to make an instructional video.

I try to keep an open mind, occasionaly you can find a good unique suggestion from the unenlightened.

#76 JBaymore

JBaymore

• Moderators
  • 2,809 posts
  • LocationWilton, NH USA

Posted 25 March 2014 - 04:22 PM

If it comes to down to bad advice, You Tube has it's share.

I some times think you should have to pre-qualify to make an instructional video.

I try to keep an open mind, occasionaly you can find a good unique suggestion from the unenlightened.

The net is filled with dubious content in just about every venue.  The important art is vetting your sources.

best,

...............john

John Baymore
Immediate Past President; Potters Council
Professor of Ceramics; New Hampshire Insitute of Art

http://www.JohnBaymore.com

#77 Marian65

Marian65

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationArkansas, USA

Posted 28 March 2014 - 01:58 PM

When I first learned to throw about 1983, and ever since, instructors tell me that potters don't need strength, just leverage.  Bunk ... in my personal experience.  The people, women and one man, were bigger than I and younger (except for the first one) and naturally stronger.  I kept telling the man who taught the last class I took that I couldn't brace my elbow into my body because it just doesn't fit there!  My strength is waning in my "more mature" years, so I can't center more than about four pounds now, but I tell my few students to get their clay centered any way they can and that strength DOES help!  I show them the positions and then leave them to work out what works best for their individual bodies.  By not stressing over prescribed technique, they get it quickly after a few tries.  By working at it with the different methods I've shown them, they just naturally fall into the one that gets the job done.  It's the centering that matters, not the method, in my opinion.  (My occasional students are adults). 

#78 Chilly

Chilly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • LocationLangdon Hills, Essex, UK

Posted 28 March 2014 - 07:07 PM

Being told that you can't use ^06 glaze in a ^6 firing or the other way round. 

On asking "why not" I was told "because". 

No reason given, no suggestion to test and find out for myself.  Maybe my teacher thought she was saving me the time and effort, but I've since found that some do work and yes she was right some don't.  Some don't fully mature if fired too low, some over fire and run, some colours burn out, some change to something different but still acceptable.

Some glaze manufacturers actually print lists of what happens to their ^06 glazes at ^6, more helpful than my teacher.

----------------------------------------------------------

Ann

http://www.readypeda...uk/pottery.html

#79 Babs

Babs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 07:21 PM

Teacher was prob. trying to discourage students from making a big mess on the shelves of the kiln she was responsible for.

Avoiding disasters is a general rule of teaching!! And placing students in positions where they will have success, well most of the time, another one if the time available for the course is limited.

A life time to try , then go for it in your own studio.

The "because' prob was the inadequacy here.

Like languages there are rules but then there are all the exceptions to it.

#80 JBaymore

JBaymore

• Moderators
  • 2,809 posts
  • LocationWilton, NH USA

Posted 29 March 2014 - 11:27 AM

There are lots of potential reasons.  The teacher was most likely also aware that the CHEMISTRY of a glaze which is underfired or overfired changes.  And that change in chemistry can affect lots of things that affect the overall durability and potential food safeness of the glaze.  Sculptures that change over time in acid rain...... plates that dukll in the dishwasher....... glazes that leach toxinx..... and on an on.  There is far more to the techincal side than the "Mark I Eyeball" test that is the only thing that so many potters use. ("It looks good.... I'll use it.")

best,

......................john

John Baymore
Immediate Past President; Potters Council
Professor of Ceramics; New Hampshire Insitute of Art

http://www.JohnBaymore.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users