New Forum Look/recent Status Updates

Best I can see Chris if you are refering to the More Reply Options it allows you to share with other media, import different media like Word, notebook, add in images and change your format lft, rt, centered etc. You will also find a window on the rt that allows you to enable or disable the emoticons allow you to post with your signature if you want, or to follow a topic.  I am pinning anything that seems to have hints on how to use the new sofware. Add in folks where it is appropriate, just try to be as accurate as you can.

Best,

Pres

It looks like the Recent Status Updates, in the bottom right corner of the forum homepage, is for making small announcements to the forum. Similar to facebook or twitter style posts, things that don't need to ask a question or start a discussion.

You can post a Status Update by clicking on your username in the upper right corner, in the drop-down list you'll see a field that says "what's on your mind?" (just like facebook).

My status for today would be "On the hunt for a used minivan. Almost had one yesterday but it got away."

Mea

I agree with you there. I have no brain for languages, never have. I think the only way I could learn would be immersion. I am still trying to get an answer on whether the spell checker is working in the forum for anyone?

yes, whenever i use a word that the writer of whatever spelling checker software is being used did not allow, i find a wavy red line under it.  the software hates all compound words and anything specific to ceramics.  it still won't teach anyone the difference between homonyms and i have not seen the correct spelling or usage of rein or rain anywhere for the last year.  even the words on the tv set captions include only "reign".  and somehow nobody loses anything, everything is loosed. didn't anyone else have that sentence "I will lose my dog if his leash comes loose." in school?  and nothing is ever taken somewhere it is always brought.  don't get me started.........

i don't know how it works when something is completely wrong like wdorng.  oh, wavy red line appeared under that one.  so, yes something works.

It looks like the Recent Status Updates, in the bottom right corner of the forum homepage, is for making small announcements to the forum. Similar to facebook or twitter style posts, things that don't need to ask a question or start a discussion.

You can post a Status Update by clicking on your username in the upper right corner, in the drop-down list you'll see a field that says "what's on your mind?" (just like facebook).

My status for today would be "On the hunt for a used minivan. Almost had one yesterday but it got away."

Mea

MEA, YOUR POST CAME UP TOTALLY DIFFERENT FROM EVERYONE ELSE'S DOWN HERE WHERE I PUT MY REPLY. I HIT QUOTE AND GOT THE USUAL BOX BUT THE FONT IS TOTALLY DIFFERENT AND ALL THE THINGS AT THE TOP ARE FAINT AND I CANNOT USE THEM.. ARE YOU DIFFERENT BECAUSE YOU ARE STAFF, A MODERATOR? I HAVEN'T SEEN ANYTHING LIKE "STATUS CHANGES" ANYWHERE. AND WHY ARE MY WORDS RUNNING OVER THE MARGINS? STRANGE, THEY DIDN'T PRINT OUT THAT WAY...............

Mea

MEA, YOUR POST CAME UP TOTALLY DIFFERENT FROM EVERYONE ELSE'S DOWN HERE WHERE I PUT MY REPLY. I HIT QUOTE AND GOT THE USUAL BOX BUT THE FONT IS TOTALLY DIFFERENT AND ALL THE THINGS AT THE TOP ARE FAINT AND I CANNOT USE THEM.. ARE YOU DIFFERENT BECAUSE YOU ARE STAFF, A MODERATOR? I HAVEN'T SEEN ANYTHING LIKE "STATUS CHANGES" ANYWHERE. AND WHY ARE MY WORDS RUNNING OVER THE MARGINS? STRANGE, THEY DIDN'T PRINT OUT THAT WAY...............

oldlady, this sounds like the same problem that AndyL reported in another thread. I don't know the exact answer, but I have noted that when using the forum from my Mac laptop (with Safari, Firefox, or Chrome) all of the text formatting features work. However, when using the forum from my iPad, I can only post in plain text. Plus there are lots of neat features that don't work on my iPad either, things like rollovers and pop-ups. Therefore my theory is that these features require Flash to work properly. Those of you experiencing these problems might be using a device that does not support Flash (such as an iPad) or a computer that needs to have its Flash updated. 

Mart, does this sounds relevant to your problem?

Therefore my theory is that these features require Flash to work properly. Those of you experiencing these problems might be using a device that does not support Flash (such as an iPad) or a computer that needs to have its Flash updated.Mart, does this sounds relevant to your problem?

Actually, this makes sense because Flash was updated to 11.2.202.297 few days ago and after that, edit box stopped working.

Do you have a Flash version check that can not handle new versions?

BTW, Adobe Flash and similar junk from Microsofts suck and have way too many security issues. There is absolutely no need to use Flash to have a fancy editing box in your forum.

Here is something you can probably integrate to your forum system to get a stable and OS independent editor: http://ckeditor.com

Thank you

Therefore my theory is that these features require Flash to work properly. Those of you experiencing these problems might be using a device that does not support Flash (such as an iPad) or a computer that needs to have its Flash updated.Mart, does this sounds relevant to your problem?

Actually, this makes sense because Flash was updated to 11.2.202.297 few days ago and after that, edit box stopped working.

Do you have a Flash version check that can not handle new versions?

BTW, Adobe Flash and similar junk from Microsofts suck and have way too many security issues. There is absolutely no need to use Flash to have a fancy editing box in your forum.

Here is something you can probably integrate to your forum system to get a stable and OS independent editor: http://ckeditor.com

Thank you

I see, so you are saying that we should NOT update to the most recent version of Flash? 

I agree that Flash has a lot of faults, however the folks who keep this forum running do not write the software themselves. Perhaps they can forward our feedback to the software maker, that we are having lots of Flash compatibility issues. And encourage the software maker to move away from Flash altogether, if anything just to make the software tablet-friendly. 

(I have tried using the "mobile" version of the forum from my iPad, I really don't like it. It is very plain looking, and you can only see a limited amount of content at a time. It underscores how much the "full" version is dependent on Flash.) 

I'm going to forward this post to the administrators. 

anyone else having problems signing out? I think I have signed out, but the next day I am still logged in.

I contacted the administrators by clicking on the button on the first pop up page when pogging in. It was not deliverable. I contacted the forum administrator by sending a message.

Marcia

Archived