Pug mill

I recently was given a Bluebird 440 pug mill from an elderly gentlemen whose wife had passed away. The pug mill is a Bluebird 440 de-airing. I have contacted Bluebird and left messages, asking for a copy of the owners manual, but no response. If anyone has the owners manual and could email it to me @. dmkelly316@gmail.com, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank You so much!

Deb

I have a same model pug mill, if there is anything you need answered before getting a manual, please post.

Myself and others should be able to fill you in.

Wyndham

Thank you Wyndham...I really need to know how to disassemble it so I can clean it.

Cleaning will be rather straight forward.

I have attached a photo of the 440

Make sure the pugmill is not plugged into any electric outlet.

If there is clay dried and lodged in the barrel, wrap the nozzle end with a baggy and use some tape to secure it on the nozzle. Pour some water, maybe a cup or 2 into the mixing chamber so that it can soak and soften the dried clay in the barrel, soak at least 24 hrs.

When you come back you can start dissembling the barrel.

Take off the baggy, have a small bucket for any water that wants to pour out.

On the front nozzle there are 4 threaded bolts with nuts on the back side. Unscrew theses and set them aside. the front nozzle will come off. if there is clay inside this part gently wiggle it till it comes off.

Clean up the clay that is easily accessible.

Remove the plexiglass and gague and set aside, clean out any clay that is in the vacuum chamber.

You will see a spring inside attached to a lever on the left hand side. With a pair of needle nose pliers remove the spring and set it aside.

This is where the vacuum from the pump pulls the air out of the clay.

You will notice that this lever rocks back and forth with just the pressure of you finger.

When you get ready to remove the barrel in a moment this lever need to be rocker down where the spring was attached. You can do this with simple finger pressure.

Next there are 4 bolts holding the barrel to the back plate of the pugmill. unscrew those and set them aside.

Noe the barrel can be removed. If there is a lot of clay you need to gently twist and pull the barrel forward while at the same time holding that rocker lever down, as mentioned before.

It may take 2 people if the barrel is stuck try adding some water while trying to loosen the barrel.

It will come forward.

After the barrel is removed clean the clay on the shaft. About half way on the shaft is a screen, this should be cleaned out as well.

After this, take a break, have some ice tea and start reassembling.

The trickyest part is lining up the hole on the back plate with the 4 bolts. There is a thin metal sheet that acts as a sort of gasket that always seems to give me fits trying to line up the holes, and the bolts and the back where the bolts screw in. Be sure not to cross thread these. Helps to spray them with some 3 in i oil to make reassembling easier.

Remember to hold down that rocker lever as you refit the barrel. After screwing in the 4 back bolts reattach the spring then reattach the front nozzle.

Last part is to remove the orange cover that is held in place by 2 screws on the top. slide the cover back and off. you should see 2 bearings and a place for one or both to grease the bearings. This is called a grease zert. Get a mini grease gun from lowes home improvement or Auto zone if you don't have one. Give about one shot of grease to each. older models didn't have this.

Clean out any clay that might be around the bearings with a stick or screw driver and reassemble.

I hope I haven't missed anything

if I have I hope someone will chime in.

Good luck, a pugmill makes all the difference.

Wyndham

440.jpg

Cleaning will be rather straight forward.

I have attached a photo of the 440

Make sure the pugmill is not plugged into any electric outlet.

If there is clay dried and lodged in the barrel, wrap the nozzle end with a baggy and use some tape to secure it on the nozzle. Pour some water, maybe a cup or 2 into the mixing chamber so that it can soak and soften the dried clay in the barrel, soak at least 24 hrs.

When you come back you can start dissembling the barrel.

Take off the baggy, have a small bucket for any water that wants to pour out.

On the front nozzle there are 4 threaded bolts with nuts on the back side. Unscrew theses and set them aside. the front nozzle will come off. if there is clay inside this part gently wiggle it till it comes off.

Clean up the clay that is easily accessible.

Remove the plexiglass and gague and set aside, clean out any clay that is in the vacuum chamber.

You will see a spring inside attached to a lever on the left hand side. With a pair of needle nose pliers remove the spring and set it aside.

This is where the vacuum from the pump pulls the air out of the clay.

You will notice that this lever rocks back and forth with just the pressure of you finger.

When you get ready to remove the barrel in a moment this lever need to be rocker down where the spring was attached. You can do this with simple finger pressure.

Next there are 4 bolts holding the barrel to the back plate of the pugmill. unscrew those and set them aside.

Noe the barrel can be removed. If there is a lot of clay you need to gently twist and pull the barrel forward while at the same time holding that rocker lever down, as mentioned before.

It may take 2 people if the barrel is stuck try adding some water while trying to loosen the barrel.

It will come forward.

After the barrel is removed clean the clay on the shaft. About half way on the shaft is a screen, this should be cleaned out as well.

After this, take a break, have some ice tea and start reassembling.

The trickyest part is lining up the hole on the back plate with the 4 bolts. There is a thin metal sheet that acts as a sort of gasket that always seems to give me fits trying to line up the holes, and the bolts and the back where the bolts screw in. Be sure not to cross thread these. Helps to spray them with some 3 in i oil to make reassembling easier.

Remember to hold down that rocker lever as you refit the barrel. After screwing in the 4 back bolts reattach the spring then reattach the front nozzle.

Last part is to remove the orange cover that is held in place by 2 screws on the top. slide the cover back and off. you should see 2 bearings and a place for one or both to grease the bearings. This is called a grease zert. Get a mini grease gun from lowes home improvement or Auto zone if you don't have one. Give about one shot of grease to each. older models didn't have this.

Clean out any clay that might be around the bearings with a stick or screw driver and reassemble.

I hope I haven't missed anything

if I have I hope someone will chime in.

Good luck, a pugmill makes all the difference.

Wyndham

440.jpg

• 6 months later...

i have a blue bird 440 that is over 20 years old. today it started making a screeching noise when i started to pug some clay. i immediately turned off the mill, disconnected the electric and cleaned out the barrel, thinking that was the problem. i did find a bent nail inside the screw mechanism but when i turned on the mill without the barrel there was still the screeching sound coming from the area where the grease zert is located. i tried lubricating with a grease gun but to no avail. i am afraid the bearing is shot but don't how to replace it. can anyone offer any advice?

i have a blue bird 440 that is over 20 years old. today it started making a screeching noise when i started to pug some clay. i immediately turned off the mill, disconnected the electric and cleaned out the barrel, thinking that was the problem. i did find a bent nail inside the screw mechanism but when i turned on the mill without the barrel there was still the screeching sound coming from the area where the grease zert is located. i tried lubricating with a grease gun but to no avail. i am afraid the bearing is shot but don't how to replace it. can anyone offer any advice?

Maybe take Christmas day off from clay?-just kidding

Make sure your grease gun is working and full-usually bearings take time to get loud-sounds like this just started today-

Keep the nails out of your clay-

Clean the whole machine and run it dry and with a piece of hose held to ear you can isolate where the noise comes from.

Mark

Hey Mark!  Thanks for the suggestions on my pug mill problems.  I cleaned the clay from the barrel as you suggested and left it off, then listened with a stethescope for the screeching sound which seemed to be located near the housing with the grease zert.  I took the zert apart to see if it was clean because the grease from the gun would not enter the housing.  It was clean but the grease still wouldn't enter the housing.  I pulled the washers back on the shaft, the ones that keep the grease in the housing from coming out, and exposed the opening in the housing around the shaft.  After cleaning out around the shaft I packed in as much grease as I could and also used a foam lubricant around both sides where the shaft went though the housing.  At first, when I turned on the mill, it started making the same sound, but after a bit the sound lessened and finally disappeared. Much to my relief!!  I attached the barrel again and noticed that there was a little play in the shaft when I wiggled it from the end.  Maybe the bearing in the housing was damaged?  Anyway, when I tried pugging some clay there was just a gentle purr from the mill and no problem in pugging plently of clay to make three or four pieces. Thanks for your help and quick response to my query.   Norman

(and yes, nails don't belong in a pug mill <_< )

• 3 months later...

Hey,

Do you still need a manual for this pug mill or is everything repaired and going smooth?

I can xerox you a copy of mine.  How is the rubber grommet doing between the motor and the mill?

If you check on them periodically you can re-use the old one by sliding back the flange and rotating the gromet one "tooth"

over,, and you'll wind up with a new grommet....  However, if you don't check it the motion in the flex coupling will wear completely

out and you'll have to buy a new one.  You can order one from Blue Bird for $30.00 (including shipping) which we did 7 years ago or go by the local

welding supply company and buy them over the counter for $3.75.  Take in your old on since they may different sizes... Ours used the medium size.

Hope this helps....

Alabama

• 1 year later...

Hello Ceramic Arts Community

I have recently purchased a well used Bluebird 440 which I'm hoping to recondition. The vacuum chamber is a mystery for sure. The rest of the machine seems solid?

Just wondering whether anyone has a repair manual or some expertise or know where I can get parts...

I do have an operators manual if it is still needed.

Thanks 

Glen if bluebird is still in business call them with your questions-if they are long gone then you are on your own-many of these machines are still out there.Many here still have and use them-I'm not a bluebird fan but I know they work and the price is right. I used one 25 years ago on 3 tons of my reclaimed porcelain and that work made me realize it was not my machine of choice as I had to run it thru twice.'

I would get the vacuum function working as that will really help the end quality of the clay.

there is a potter with a bluebird in Round Hill, virginia.  his name is on his website Potterosa.  having a senior moment with his name.  it will come to me sometime and i will edit this.  anyhow, he is very mechanically adept and willing to help people.  try asking him.

david norton who works at the Torpedo Factory in alexandria, va is the potter whose name would not come to me last night.  he is a great potter, very nice man and extremely lucky.  lucky because his wonderful old house and great studio were located in an apple orchard.  lovely.  then the orchard was sold and many new, very wealthy neighbors moved into the big, new houses and needed great pottery to fill them.

don't be distracted by the potterosa puppies website, they are too cute for words.

Thanks for all your help

I have contacted David Norton by email and will call him this week regarding the mystery of the vacuum chamber. And, Bluebird has a very modest website so here's hoping  they have reasonably priced parts?

The cam (that activates the vacuum) looks as if its worn right through but should be easily repairable (mig welded) if a replacement isn't available

More on this saga when it happens

Glen

Do you need a vacuum pump? A welding shop or trade school should be able to weld up the cam. My spring broke that works the shaft going to the cam.. I happen to be at my older sister while she was burning an outside lounge chair, and noticed the springs that hold up the cushions are the same size spring as mine! I stuffed my pockets full, so she could burn the rest of the chair! The connection between your pugmill motor is called a Lovejoy connector and the rubber spider grommet that fits inside can be bought at a welding supply co. for about $3.75.

I have a vacuum pump I don't use. I think they're over rated and noisey, not necessarily in that order!

See you later,

Alabàmà

Thanks Alabàmà

I've already managed to find the spider from a shop that deals with hydraulics. And I'm not sure about the vacuum pump that came with this machine so I might be interested in the one you don't use

Those springs might rust, its hard to find stainless steel springs but if rust isn't a problem, go for it!

I might have to contact bluebird about a rebuild kit, once I figure out if its needed...

Stay tuned.

Glen

• 2 years later...

I am looking to buy a used pugmill and this model came up.. the Bluebird 440 for $1000 canadian.   It was bought in 1990 and not used much.   Have not seen it yet.  Wonder what you think of the machine?

thanks

bets

Archived