SSX drive for Thomas Stuart wheels

Does anyone have an experience with the SSX drive option for Thomas Stuart wheels? Or maybe you know what it is exactly (beyond the Skutt's promo pitch)? What does "SSX" abbreviation stand for? Solid State Xtortion of Xtra money? :)

Is it just an updated motor controller? Is any change to the pedal required? Is it anything really worth extra $?

Thank you.

Mike

Good to meet you this morning, Mike.

It's an upgraded motor controller. As far as I know there's no difference in the pedal, but I could be wrong. I've never used one, but I hear they're very nice. The SSX is supposed to increase torque and make it quieter, but I've never felt either of those were an issue with the regular controller. It's like heated heats in your car- if you've got the cash, go for it.

So instead of simply updating their controller they chose to make it an option? Interesting business model... Especially, considering the enormous markup.

I have nothing against Skutt but I always expect some changes for the worse when a big company buys a little company that is famous for excellence. Brent declined when it was bought by AMACO. I was sorry to see Skutt buy Thomas Stuart.

Jim

I have nothing against Skutt but I always expect some changes for the worse when a big company buys a little company that is famous for excellence. Brent declined when it was bought by AMACO. I was sorry to see Skutt buy Thomas Stuart.

I'm not a fan of that practice either, but in Skutt's defense, I have a Skutt/TS Prodigy wheel that I've had very few problems with so far. I do need to adjust the pedal, but the instructions even tell me that I might have to; I just haven't done it yet because I'm lazy that way. wink.gif

I know nothing about the SSX option, because it's not available on the Prodigy, but I don't think the Prodigy is that loud anyway!

So instead of simply updating their controller they chose to make it an option? Interesting business model... Especially, considering the enormous markup.

Thank you, Neil.

Mike

One of the things that makes the TS wheels great is their price point. More power for less money. If they made the upgrade standard, they'd lose that. Their standard controller is as good or better than anything else out there, so there was no need to make the SSX standard equipment from a quality standpoint. But there will always be people who want to buy the very best. Is the SSX better than standard? Yes. Is it needed? No.

S

One of the things that makes the TS wheels great is their price point. More power for less money. I

Talking of which: Can anyone tell me what is wrong with Clay Boss 1/2 hp wheel? It is only $499 a new one.

It has all the features of the Brent's, Scutts' etc. The reason I am asking is that I have one, and I tried others, and I do not feel the difference,

but I am so new to the pottery, what would I know!

This site software drives me crazy. If you accidently press the "DELETE" button (which, for some reason, was placed into the most convenient for clicking position), the software asks if you really want to delete the post and...deletes it regardless of your answer. It also attaches a code to emoticons used in a post if you edit it. A-rrrr.

Anyway, I just wanted to report that I called Skutt and spoke to a tech person about the SSX option. He said that it improves responsiveness of the motor to pedal manipulation in the low speed ranges. In his opinion, it can be helpful for those who do very delicate work at low speeds. As far as the noise and torque levels, he stated that I won't see any difference other than a slightly different sound pitch.

Funny, but he didn't know what SSX abbreviation meant. :)He was a really nice gentleman, and I enjoyed talking to him. I guess I'll go with TS Legend without the SSX drive option.

Archived