Photo

What is "your gift" in your own clay artistry?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 JBaymore

JBaymore

• Moderators
  • 2,958 posts
  • LocationWilton, NH USA

Posted 28 March 2013 - 01:35 PM

We all have the one particular thing in working with ceramics that we seem to do flawlessly time after time after time. While other things drive us crazy, this one aspect always seems to work for us. Interestingly, every person seems to have something different that does NOT go wrong........ what is yours?

What is "your gift" in your clay artistry?

Check out joining the Potters Council (
www.potterscouncil.org ) for more networking possibilities, peer mentoring opportunities, discounts on books, magazines, and DVDs, health insurance, credit card merchant programs, and many other member benefits.
John Baymore
Immediate Past President; Potters Council
Professor of Ceramics; New Hampshire Insitute of Art

http://www.JohnBaymore.com

#2 Denice

Denice

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 673 posts
  • LocationWichita, Kansas

Posted 29 March 2013 - 08:51 AM

We all have the one particular thing in working with ceramics that we seem to do flawlessly time after time after time. While other things drive us crazy, this one aspect always seems to work for us. Interestingly, every person seems to have something different that does NOT go wrong........ what is yours?

www.potterscouncil.org ) for more networking possibilities, peer mentoring opportunities, discounts on books, magazines, and DVDs, health insurance, credit card merchant programs, and many other member benefits.

I took a Anasai research class in college and discovered that I could do no wrong when it came to coiling. I know it sounds like a simple skill but I can coil large, small. thin, thick and unusual shapes. Most people think I threw them and they don't crack in pit firing. If I'm feeling stressed about my work I'll take a break and make some coil pieces to recenter myself. Denice

#3 Pres

Pres

Retired Art Teacher

• Moderators
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationCentral, PA

Posted 29 March 2013 - 09:04 AM

I think I throw reasonably well, and have had other "professionals" tell me that I make exceptionally strong pulls. However, when it comes to my gift, I still think in the clay that I am more gifted to help others with it that excel myself.

Simply retired teacher, not dead, living the dream. on and on and. . . . on. . . .                                                                                 http://picworkspottery.blogspot.com/

#4 Benzine

Benzine

Socratic Potter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,592 posts
  • LocationThe Hawkeye State

Posted 29 March 2013 - 09:05 AM

As far as my students know, my gift is omniscience, omnipotence, and infallibility.

In reality, I'm pretty good at trouble shooting/ problem solving issues, when it comes to fixing projects, both prior to and during their construction.
"Anything worth believing, is worth questioning"

#5 Mark C.

Mark C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,845 posts
  • LocationNear Arcata Ca-redwood rain forest

Posted 29 March 2013 - 11:29 PM

For me its reduction firing and glazing- those are my strong points that come easy. Its from doing them forever over and over I feel and its also the part I enjoy most.
I'm a fire potter not a mudder.
Mark
Mark Cortright
www.liscomhillpottery.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users