Seat For Potters Wheel

Guest JBaymore

That chair is one of the best I have ever found. When I got a few in to test in my studio people were fighting to get them. I replace all of the throwing chairs with them. The only problems I had with them was when some one was a little more generously proportioned in the derriere.

"a little more generously proportioned".... nice turn of phrase. wink.gif

Unfortunately, people who fall too far into that category are likely to have more of an issue with the stresses of studio work also.

Yeah .... a $200 chair can save $20,000 in doctors bills.

best,

.............john

That chair is one of the best I have ever found. When I got a few in to test in my studio people were fighting to get them. I replace all of the throwing chairs with them. The only problems I had with them was when some one was a little more generously proportioned in the derriere.

"a little more generously proportioned".... nice turn of phrase. wink.gif

Unfortunately, people who fall too far into that category are likely to have more of an issue with the stresses of studio work also.

Yeah .... a $200 chair can save $20,000 in doctors bills.

best,

.............john

Teaching groups of adults in the HS on Saturdays gave me a population that included many teachers, some ministers, people in industry, and a few housewives. I found that I could modify much to fit their particular physiques, but as you say they could not do the studio work for longer than a 3 hr period once a week. I did find that the experience improved the image of the ceramics classes with many of my piers, and with administrators that took the class. Often it made the purchase of special chairs, new studio equipment, downdraft tables, and filter systems a matter of asking. Donation of my own time also was recognized by all involved.

As an EMT, I'd suggust that you follow some of the advice already given, like stratching and warm up exercises. You need to reduce the pressure on your spine and the best way really is to throw standing up.

You'll love it! It was the standard in industrial ceramics (see english treadel wheels)- if you're going to throw for long hours- stand up. If you really want to sit - adjust hight of stool and wheelto get the your best spine and shoulder allignmens.

Creative industries makes a great wheel (noiseless) and ajustable stool.

I use a great office chair ( w/wheels) I found in my dumpster diving days. Love it!

• 5 years later...

I've been potting, full time, for 50 years.  I'm happy to say that I have no back problems. 

I agree that you should get up frequently.  I get off my wheel to wedge a new piece of clay for every pot.  I know, that sounds crazy.  When I was a student I got into this habit.  I would look at the pot I just made and think about how the piece of clay I was wedging would be better than that last pot. 

I throw on a motorized kick wheel, I know, I know, I'm a dinosaur.  I made and adaptation by tilting my seat forward, just a bit. I padded it with a foam pillow and covered it with leather.  Nothing is too good for my tush.

However, what no one has talked about is the relationship between the height of the seat and the height of the wheel head.  I see so many people throwing with the head elevated 4 to 6 inches.  This might be OK for very small pieces of clay, but for anything over 4 pounds, I think it is best to be over the clay so you can use your body weight and not your arms to center.

I'd love to hear someone with medical experience confirm or correct my opinion.  What do you potters think? 

Wayne you will be amazed how many more pots can be made in same amount of time on a true power wheel vs a motorized kick wheel.

The time spent starting and stopping that fly wheel is time wasted

as to a chair height I like one that goes up and down on a cylinder (like the one I mentioned on my post) that way you get the right height for whatever amount of clay you are working with.

Skip the drummers stool: you'll be sitting way too far back, and most of them don't go low enough. Also VERY hard to get clay out of the fabric ;<.

Shimpo makes a cheaper version of a tilted stool. That plus raising up the wheel on the (brent) posts made all the difference.

I have had back-pain issues for decades, so I needed to do something as well.  I purchased the ST-1 Potters stool a month ago; expensive but I don't regret it.  It takes some getting used to as it is not a normal seat; but it does force you to keep better posture and alleviates sitting related leg pain if you have that issue.  Your essentially sitting on your coccyx (no pun intended)  :) : so it puts pressure elsewhere that I am able to better tolerate.  Your mileage may vary.  It's a shame there is no way to test fly something of this sort prior to committing.

Guest JBaymore

Just did a demo last night in a class that dealt a lot with various aspects of ergonomics and biomechanics in throwing.  Spending some time on this thought allows you to use your body effectively (hence throwing better) and minimize potential repetitive stress injuries.

LOVE my throwing "saddle" at home.  When demoing... I am always "adjusting" the standard straight stools to a better height / angle position.

best,

....................john

Archived