Pottery Videos

Hello Everyone,

I debated on where to post this and this seems like a good place to start . I see an abundance of videos offered through CM that I think may be beneficial to my process and I imagine there are many of you who feel the same. The stumbling block for me is, one, the cost and two, how much of the video would be beneficial. The excerpts are great thanks to CM but still not enough for me to spend the money on numerous videos. What are some of your thoughts on approaching CM about offering a rental of these videos, kind of like the downloadable videos offered on Amazon. The cost is minimal ( 2.99 up to 9.99) for a 24-hour viewing period.

Thinking out loud and looking forward to feedback.

Penny

Penny;

This may not be the answer you seek, but I have learned a lot from watching many pottery videos on YouTube, and I was already an experienced potter.

Bill van Gilder is good

I also like Doug Fitch in England

I used to watch Simon Leach, but he takes a long time to get there.

There are tons and tons on there. No need to rent.

TJR

Hello Everyone,

I debated on where to post this and this seems like a good place to start . I see an abundance of videos offered through CM that I think may be beneficial to my process and I imagine there are many of you who feel the same. The stumbling block for me is, one, the cost and two, how much of the video would be beneficial. The excerpts are great thanks to CM but still not enough for me to spend the money on numerous videos. What are some of your thoughts on approaching CM about offering a rental of these videos, kind of like the downloadable videos offered on Amazon. The cost is minimal ( 2.99 up to 9.99) for a 24-hour viewing period.

Thinking out loud and looking forward to feedback.

Penny

i think that is qa great idea as i would love to be able to rent CM videos. i wish that CM would do something about it in order to make it affordable and more available to the general pottery artists.

eleanor a

Guest Sherman

Hey, thanks for the feedback, folks. To be clear, Ceramic Arts Daily produces the videos in question, not Ceramics Monthly (though we are are all part of the same happy family). I do love it when people suggest we do something similar to what Amazon does---makes me feel like we are 10000 times bigger than we are :)

Keep in mind that all of the free stuff CAD does is supported by things we then sell through the site.

We have looked into streaming video rentals, what it would cost us, and what it would therefore cost you, and to date have not come up with a viable solution that would work for everyone (unless "everyone" equals a few million people---right now we're at about 120,000). That said, we continue to research this. Technology progresses, services develop and change...and we get smarter as well.

Thanks again, and stay tuned!

Sherman

Good idea

I would rather rent, I cant think of a video I actually want to own.

Dear All,

I watched the entire Robin Hopper series by borrowing them from the local public library in Toronto. I am not sure if you could approach your local library about a possible purchase of those you would like to see or borrow. Sometimes they can do a search for you and find them in another branch and bring them directly to your local library.

Putting these up on Ceramic arts maybe could be similar to a pay-per-view situation. Not sure how this would be received however, from those who take the time, energy and money to produce these videos.

Nelly

There is a site called SmartFlix that operates like NetFlix. They have a pottery library called "Pottery University" and a reasonable monthly fee. They will send you 3 videos at a time, and you don't even pay for postage. Robin Hopper and Graham Sheehan are just two of the video hosts. You can return them as quickly as you watch them or keep them for a few weeks to work at your own pace. It was a huge help to me when I couldn't find a class locally.

I have bought one video, Steven Hill's, and am glad I did. I have watched it many times and every time I see something new. I had a friend who loaned me the Robin Hopper series and I loved watching them, but would have preferred to own them because I'd like to watch them more than once. But I couldn't afford them, so I didn't. If I ever get rich...

I also love the videos on you tube. Anything at all by John Britt or Mark Peters. And YouDanXXX and Hsinchuen Lin. I also used to watch the Simon Leach videos, but they are so long and somewhat rambling, it takes too much time. Here are some I stumbled across the other day that are good. These are more interviews with British potters and why they do what they do, rather than how-to's. Each of these are over 20 minutes too, but very well done and interesting.

Archived