• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#21 Fireoflynn

Fireoflynn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 03:53 PM

WOW ,this is such an awesome post. You did all those years and years ago and got paid, saved them and now are firing them and the main part.... sharing it all with us....thanks!!
And I am learning a whole lot about this Skutt Kiln with a programmer came to me after my AIM Cone Kiln of 30 years died for good....

Just for grins I would take that broken piece that probably had an air bubble in it and the surviving pieces.....make up some paper clay with similar clay (using NorthernUltra - say 50/50 clay) use it to put the pieces back on and smooth a thin layer over the whole thing filling in the hole parts.....and fill a bunch in the Big Crack also.......and then refire it.

No paper clay is nothing fancy, but when it works it is a "Miracle Clay"........and I have seen some miracles with it......

Just curious, is that an old Gladding-McBean picture........i was there once or twice......

#22 neilestrick

neilestrick

Neil Estrick

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,531 posts
  • LocationGrayslake, IL

Posted 12 March 2013 - 05:36 PM

WOW ,this is such an awesome post. You did all those years and years ago and got paid, saved them and now are firing them and the main part.... sharing it all with us....thanks!!
And I am learning a whole lot about this Skutt Kiln with a programmer came to me after my AIM Cone Kiln of 30 years died for good....

Just for grins I would take that broken piece that probably had an air bubble in it and the surviving pieces.....make up some paper clay with similar clay (using NorthernUltra - say 50/50 clay) use it to put the pieces back on and smooth a thin layer over the whole thing filling in the hole parts.....and fill a bunch in the Big Crack also.......and then refire it.

No paper clay is nothing fancy, but when it works it is a "Miracle Clay"........and I have seen some miracles with it......

Just curious, is that an old Gladding-McBean picture........i was there once or twice......

Those shards from the broken piece are signs of the piece being too thick for the speed of firing, not air bubbles. Air bubbles will never cause a piece to break/shard/explode, etc.
Neil Estrick
Kiln Repair Tech
L&L Distributor
Owner, Neil Estrick Gallery, LLC
www.neilestrickgallery.com

neil@neilestrickgallery.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users