Softening a slab roller canvas

Hello, all. My broken arm and shattered wrist are finally gaining some strength and flexibility 11 weeks after the fall, and I'd like to say thanks to all who offered words of guidance and support. I'm not anywhere near full-throttle (more like pumping the gas pedal in anticipation) but I'm finally ready to set up my shiny new slab roller this weekend. I know that I am supposed to soften the canvas by soaking it in water softener/water and allowing it to dry. I asked for advice from the seller, but even though I followed it, I've still got a stiff canvas. I've soaked the darned thing for 8 hours in the 'water softener to water' ratio listed on the bottle, but it's still stiff and has the bumps from having been rolled up. What am I doing wrong?

thanks, Jayne

I have never washed canvas before in all my years-I always thought it may make it lumpy. You may want to just get a new piece? Or a slab matt which leaves no texture.How about putting it in dryer with no heat and beating it soft with shoe in there???Just an idea never tried it.

mark

I have never washed canvas before in all my years-I always thought it may make it lumpy. You may want to just get a new piece? Or a slab matt which leaves no texture.How about putting it in dryer with no heat and beating it soft with shoe in there???Just an idea never tried it.

mark

John, all I know is the following, taken from a printout that comes with the Bailey DRD II slab roller:

"When you receive your new canvas, you will need to shrink it to prevent future wrinkles. To shrink your canvas, soak it in a tub of warm water for several hours with a small amount of fabric softener, and then let it drip dry on a clothes line or rod. Never put your canvas in a washing machine or a dryer! ...We recommend that once the canvas has been pre-shrunk (as described previously) a permanent fold be created by sewing in a seam. This will eliminate an extra step when preparing to roll a slab. It will also insure that both sides of the canvas are in perfect alignment."

Curious.....!

I have never done any of that ... guess I should have read the manual. :lol:

It does get soft over time ... and do not put it in the dryer. Also, those directions must have been written when everyone had heavy duty sewing machines in the house! I cannot image being able to get a seam run through mine and they are old and softer. All I do is fold it in half. I bought an extra so I had one for red/brown clay and one for porcelain.Wash day entails laying them on the driveway and hosing them off!

I have never done any of that ... guess I should have read the manual. :lol:

It does get soft over time ... and do not put it in the dryer. Also, those directions must have been written when everyone had heavy duty sewing machines in the house! I cannot image being able to get a seam run through mine and they are old and softer. All I do is fold it in half. I bought an extra so I had one for red/brown clay and one for porcelain.Wash day entails laying them on the driveway and hosing them off!

Well, Chris, I wondered how the heck I'd wash these things. That's a great idea about hosing them off in the driveway...now if only I can find a friend with a paved driveway I can borrow!!

Sewing? I don't think so!

Fold it in half, use a permanent black marker. An inch on each edge is plenty. Do both sides.

If you have a pressure washer, that is great for getting ALL the clay out. If you don't have a pressure washer, then go to the car wash. They also have a "paved driveway"tongue.gif

Washing it at a car was is a great idea, like Chris I have one for white clay and one for red and only wash them in the summer on the driveway when the sun can bake them dry quickly. I just started using the canvas from Bailey out of the package, the canvas softens up as you use it. Denice

Archived