Food Safe Low-fire glaze recipe

ldbmagic

Hello everyone!

I am a student looking for food safe low-fire (cone 1-4) glaze recipes for some bowls that I made. Or list some glaze ingredients I should stay away from. Please help me out by posting some glaze recipes for me, I have been searching for quite some time now.

Thank you!

Hello everyone!

I am a student looking for food safe low-fire (cone 1-4) glaze recipes for some bowls that I made. Or list some glaze ingredients I should stay away from. Please help me out by posting some glaze recipes for me, I have been searching for quite some time now.

Thank you!

Is there a reason that your working in the cone range of 1-4, or do you mean 01-04. Most people work in Cone 04,05 or 5,6 and 9,10 , there are glaze recipes out there that are Cone 1-4, but not a lot. What clay are you using and are you firing gas or electric? Denice

Hello everyone!

Thank you!

Is there a reason that your working in the cone range of 1-4, or do you mean 01-04. Most people work in Cone 04,05 or 5,6 and 9,10 , there are glaze recipes out there that are Cone 1-4, but not a lot. What clay are you using and are you firing gas or electric? Denice

I am using a cone 04 terra cotta. firing electric. by cone 1-4, I mean from cone 01 to cone 04, sorry for the miscommunication.

• 7 years later...

You should be able to go to Www.glazy.org and find many glaze recipes.

As for food safe, technically cadmium and lead are the only regulated substances for food safety and pottery. So no cadmium and no lead and the standards in the US are met. Now many potters also feel barium, vanadium, chromium, manganese and other components  are not healthy, especially for the preparer of the glaze.  Most often they exclude those substances from their food safe glazes reasoning that if there is risk to the preparer, they would rather it not be in the their final product as well.

The components I have listed above are a good start, we don’t even bother to have them in the glaze lab.

So the advice here is learn the risks of the ingredients and then make a conservative decision as to what you may want to include on your personal exclusion list. Unfortunately lots of reading but fortunately will make you a better potter.

keep in mind the current standard does not account for durability as well as absorption etc.... All good things to spend some time learning as well since food safe often gives folks the idea that it is microwave safe, child safe for preparation and handling etc....

Archived