Reformulating Arbuckle's majolica with frit 3134

Hi!

I'm trying to reformulate Arbuckle's majolica recipe for cone 05, since I can't find frit 3124 in my country. I was hoping someone could help me or give some advice on how to reformulate the recipe with frit 3134. I'm aware that the main difference is the alumina content and that I can source it from the EPK but I have no idea of how much I should add and if I should also modify the silica content... or decrease the frit.

Any advice is welcome, thank's in advance!

Resultado de imagen para arbuckle majolica recipe 05

12 minutes ago, liambesaw said:

Do you have access to glaze software?

If so it should be a quick sub.  I wouldn't recommend a straight substitution of 3134 though since it makes up the majority of the recipe. 

Yesterday I downloaded Glazemaster but came here after realizing it wasn't that easy to use it... :(

Do you have any suggestion about the substitution?, there's not 3124 around here and I'm getting out of ideas...

Thanks for the answer! :)

1 hour ago, Medeli Alpaca said:

I began to think about it with the modification of the Epson salts... 

Going back to the epsom salts part of the glaze, I don't know how much you've worked with majolica glazes etc so apologies if you already know this... The epsom salts are to help have a more even laying down of the dipped glaze on the pot, especially on rims and edges. Since majolica glazes are stiff non fluid glazes any flaws in the glaze application will likely show up after the glaze firing. There's nothing nasty in this glaze so go ahead and mix it up with the correct amount of water, measure the specific gravity, then stir it with your hand then pull your hand out and see how the glaze flows off your skin/knuckles/wrinkles. (if you don't want to use your bare hand then use a stir stick or wear a glove) If you see your skin through the glaze after your hand as dripped for a minute then this same sheeting will happen when you glaze a pot. The glaze will thin out over high spots (rims and edges). To get the glaze to stay even in it's application epsom salts are sometimes needed to prevent this sheeting. Water used to make the glaze can make a difference in glaze deflocculating or not. Try mix up a batch and see what it does. If it sheets off your hand then mix up a saturated solution of hot water and epsom salts. Take just a litre of glaze and add a small amount, like a couple mls of the epsom salts solution to the litre of glaze and mix it up then see how it drips/sheets off your hand. Don't add too much,  just enough to get the glaze to cover your hand evenly without thin areas. Might be fine without it but if it is necessary to flocculate the glaze the epsom salts solution will work well.

With approx 15% epk in the glaze you probably don't need the bentonite. 

• 4 weeks later...

Archived