VL Whisper quits working when I stop the pedal

I have two VL Whispers in two different cities.  I love them but they both have issues.  The one I use the most was made in 2006 so I've probably had it close to that long with no issues.  This morning I press the pedal & it does nothing.  Checked all connections, turn on & off and it works until I stop the pedal, then nothing.   A couple of times it  sounded like something was brushing the wheel then stopped as the speed was increased.  A couple of times it started going the opposite direction (without switching) very slowly - yikes.   I went through this this several times to complete a bit of work to finish a commission but I don't think it will miraculously fix itself.   My other Whisper does a similar thing  in that the pedal won't make the wheel turn, except with this one I just turn it on and off at the switch and it works & has done that for years.  It does not reverse itself & it does not give me the brushing sound.  Any ideas??  Thanks!  

The fact that your wheel direction is changing without you switching it over means there is some confusion for your motor about the "polarity" (may not be the correct term; not an electrical engineer) that is coming into the motor. In a basic sense; electric motors have two inputs of current, a - and a +; use them in one orientation and the motor goes counter clockwise, reverse the input and it will go in the opposite direction. The switch on the controller allows you to do this without rewiring the motor inputs.

IMO one of two things could be wrong, among others possibly. If the motor has a capacitor on it, it could be failing which is allowing the current input/output to change inside the capacitor; if there is a capacitor, look to see if it is bulging/swollen, worn connections, signs of electrical distress. Also, the switch which controls the wheel direction could be failing; a switch is basically a metal, spring loaded gate, which when you close the circuit in a specific direction will allow current to transfer through the connection your created. If the spring has failed, or components have worn, it could be switching itself unintentionally. If there is a capacitor, and it has failed, this will be a more expensive repair, but not ungodly. Switches are cheap.

If you dont have a lot of electrical experience, this may be difficult for you to diagnose, but is somewhat easy-moderately difficult to diagnose with a voltmeter and some disassembling of the different components of your wheel. However it should be noted that in the hopes of diagnosing the wheel, further damage could be incurred if you short the wheel's electrical system; so if you arent comfortable, I might seek someone who is. A general electrician may be able to do this, but if you can find a electrical engineer, or someone who works/repairs AC appliances/electronics, they would be more than qualified to do the diagnosis.

Could also be that the potentiometer is failing or needs adjusting; the potentiometer is the device which controls the wheel speed, and the high and low stops (maximum RPM and stopping point). This would not cause the wheel direction to change, but if you are experiencing the reversing at a specific speed or starting/stopping issues, it could be affecting the entire issue.

Im certainly no electrical engineer, so Im curious to see what someone who has more experience than I, or specific firsthand experience with Shimpo wheels has to say. The above suggestions are just based on my experience with electrical motors, and different wheel brands/models.

9 hours ago, Bluegrass Clayworks said:

Thanks to all!  I will call Link at Kentucky Mudworks tomorrow where I purchased, she may have run across this and I know she has contacts at Shimpo.  I really appreciate your input! 

Shimpo are super responsive too.  Vijay at shimpo will take care of you if you send them an email from their contact form.

14 hours ago, Bluegrass Clayworks said:

I unscrewed the connection to the wheel and reconnected.  I did not remove the bottom plate of the foot pedal & did not realize there was one until your post.  What should I look for?  

Another universe-small hobbits?

Archived