E-23-H

Shawna bell

Series 7103, I am confused. I am trying to use this new to me kiln. My last kiln had temp settings of high med and low. I don't see this option on this kiln. Just two dials for timing. How do I regulate ramp up and down? Can someone help please? I have  full load of ceramics that should fire for come 5-6.

IMG_20181118_094344.jpg

My kiln with a timer makes a kicking on and off clicking noise,  kilns loads do not explode unless your work isn't totally dry.   You probably won't be able to ramp, down fire or hold with this kiln.  You can find glazes that don't need all of the special ramping.  Some older glaze recipes or purchased glazes.  Have you ever fired a kiln before or work with someone who is firing a kiln?  Did you check out the elements and adjust your kiln setter before you started firing.   Do you have  large cones in the range you are firing   in a ridge of clay sitting near your peep hole?       Denice

Honestly, I have just had to figure both kilns out myself.  The kiln appears to be in good working condition.  The elements and internal part of kiln has no damage.

I've never actually used the cones. I have found normal 5-6 cone required glazes take about 9 hours to cook, and 12hours to cool. All items in the load are completely dry.

I don't know anything about the kiln setter. I guess I've been lucky that the previous owners have taken care of that.

I welcome all advise and input.

Hi Shawna,

I have an old Skutt with one timer knob, high/medium/low/off on each ring (three), and the sitter; having fired  it just twice - one bisque, one glaze - I'd advise using a pyrometer and cones. How else would you know when you've reached target temp, and how would you repeat and/or adjust next time without measurement?

Some are able to judge temp by colour (red->orange->yellow->white->boom/melt); I don't have that experience...

Hi hulk, 

I guess I have never used the cones because I am completely self taught. I have learned to look in the peek hole and look at the glowing red part . I know I sound like a clown! Lol. I don't even know how to use the cones. I have learned to time it over time when a load would be done too soon and the glaze did not cook completely. Or a loads finish would look crackled it was too long. I am so glad I found this site so I can learn more! 

I still don't know why you would think the kiln would explode.   It is probably the timer set up you are hearing,   are you doing a bisque firing.    I recently rewired my big Skutt,  it was taking 12 hours to get to C01.   My husband got a meter and checked them and they were worn out to the point they wouldn't even fire to C04, they looked just fine.   You can find on-line how to adjust your kiln sitter.   Denice

Shawna-

Here is a link that discusses the Cress Basic  kilns. I know it doesn’t address your specific kiln, but it briefly discusses the use of the infinite switches (which your kiln has) under the section “Switches and Pilot Lights”.

http://www.cressmfg.com/pdf/BASIC KILN MANUAL, FOR A,B,C KILNS.pdf

The remainder of the manual is something you might read through to decide what may apply to your future firings.

Hope this will help.

Regards,

Fred

Hi Shawna,

Cones are formulated to bend when target temp is reached (+ "heat work").

Pyrometer reads current temperature, which can be handy in controlling the rate of change. 

My kiln, toggling control high to medium, later back to high slows the rate through the critical ranges...

A decent pyrometer probably set you back a hundred bucks or so. For cones, if 04 is bisque target, include an 05 and 03; for glaze, if target is 6, include a 5 and 7... 

Searching "manual kiln firing"

http://hotkilns.com/how-fire-manual-kiln

www.clay-king.com/kilns/skutt_kilns/pdf/KS_OperatingManual_2002.pdf

http://www.lakesidepottery.com/HTML Text/Tips/Firing.htm

https://ceramicartsnetwork.org/daily/firing-techniques/electric-kiln-firing/firing-clay-ten-basics-of-firing-electric-kilns

Well the kiln sitter will have a cone in it which you have to replace depending on what you goal is for wach firing.

Bar cones are best for this.The cone will bend and release the latch turning the kiln off.

Remembering that cones measure heat work  a pyrometer and thermocouple are handy or a batch of cones visible from the peep hole. 

The clicking on and off are just the noises of the energy input ..relay switches..turning on and off.

Initially they will be often and as you approach the upper end of your firing the energy will be flowing into your kiln at longer intervals till the kiln is turned on full and the clicking will stop.

Can't see 2 dials but treat the one there as in your old kiln....start low and adjust gradually till full on.

Kiln sitters should never be trusted to turn your kiln off. It will turn off but sometimes may stick so be on hand for the end of your firing.

It is possible to fire down with this kiln. When sitter latch releases it is poss to reposition sitter and press centre button back in and dial down.

I used to put a weight on the latch to hold it in place.

Log everything you do so you can repeat or adjust accordingly.

How are you gauging your temp in your other kiln?

Archived