My latest piece is great and terrible at the same time

It's all a big dance of failing and succeeding but this piece I feel is like one of the ones I see one of the beginner folks keeping because they are proud they were able to make it at all. The 1st survivor in my attempt to throw and join 2 pieces. In reality it could have been done as one throw but it was good practice for the process of joining multiple sections. It's terribly thick, what I like to call "murder a burglar" thick as I haven't progressed enough to get the larger pieces thinner. It weighs in at 7 lbs 10 oz and at 15" it's my tallest so far, but that's not really very tall, lol. It has a few little sharp blisters in the blue, you can feel them with your fingers, hard to take a good pic of them with my cheap camera though. The shape is.... kinda...rough and unrefined to my eye. But it's big (sort of) and has some presence, hoping it will look good in my farmer's market booth I signed up for in December, don't know what I was thinking but I booked 4 Saturdays, hoping my mugs will do well, I'd rake in over a grand if I sold them all at 20 bucks.

I thought about pricing it at $75 but with the blisters I'm not sure I should even have it for sale, just use it for visual display, do you sell things with little imperfections like that?

2.jpg.cacd015e3928ec3e37e9c9d2b76b1c0f.jpg1.jpg.ed911684363035050f3040368d1c5f03.jpg5.jpg.de48b7eed95683904f12c952c2d004ec.jpg4.jpg.841243ca8e14d0323119161c181089c9.jpg3.jpg.a2aac42d164d8032c7162b131ac187be.jpg

14 minutes ago, shawnhar said:

It has a few little sharp blisters in the blue, you can feel them with your fingers,

Think you have your answer already.  You haven't had much luck with re-fires have you? Vase would look lovely with a NFS sticker on it with flowers or branches on your table.

Apart from those burst blisters have you got your firing sorted out?

Lovely piece, and personally I think thick/heavy walls are just as appealing--sometimes even more so--than the ever-present preference for thin clay.  I wouldn't sell it, though, becasue of the blisters.  I probably would lightly Dremel down the sharp points so they don't snag your hand (and even touch up if necessary with acrylic color-matching).   Quite an ambitious sales venture-best of luck! 

Thanks Lee, I like the feel of thicker walls in some pieces, but in the hand this one does not feel right. I have another large 2 section vase drying at the studio that feels "more better".

Min, I actually just opened my latest test fire and only one piece had any blisters, and only a couple in the floating blue, all other glazes and pieces were perfect. Zero blisters in the turq pieces, finally! After putting witness cones in with my pots at the studio I found out i have been overfiring here at home. Studio is firing  a ^5 witness to 90 degree bend and the 6 is barely bent, I had been hitting a hard 6. Trouble is ah... I still don't have a good firing schedule as this last test was a fluke outcome, I did cone 4 med with 8 min hold and after,  peeked at around 1000f and saw the cones were not down at all so I turned it back on in fast fire mode, then realized it was getting hotter than I wanted and turned it off at 2153f, so yeah... at least I know "somewhat" where I need to be, lol.

Archived