Can Anyone Tell Me How This Is Done?

I have done something like that (but don't have any pictures) with a white clay body, a clear glaze (to show the white body as background) and Amaco LUG-1 black liquid underglaze quickly splashed onto the still-wet clear glaze. When the glaze melts in the firing, the droplet of underglaze will flow readily. It has to be the LUG liquid underglaze series, the Velvet or other gelled underglazes can't be splashed on.

There is, or was, a commercial ^06 glaze called Dalmatian. It has little chunks in it, that have to be stirred up frequently, of partly-fired black glaze. They can be taken out of the jar and placed individually, too. The chunks finish melting in the firing and tend to slide on horizontal surfaces, so they should be distributed mostly near the top.

On 10/15/2018 at 5:47 PM, Rae Reich said:

There is, or was, a commercial ^06 glaze called Dalmatian. It has little chunks in it, that have to be stirred up frequently, of partly-fired black glaze. They can be taken out of the jar and placed individually, too. The chunks finish melting in the firing and tend to slide on horizontal surfaces, so they should be distributed mostly near the top.

@Rae Reich thank you so much for this! I hadn’t even thought to look for a commercial glaze. I’ve just found one online  (and a few others!) so have ordered it. 

On 10/15/2018 at 11:47 AM, Rae Reich said:

That is the first thing that came to mind for me.  I believe Amaco makes one.

Archived