My white glaze always bunches together

Please can someone help me!!??

whenever I use my white glaze (it came as a powder and I’ve mixed it with water to use it) it always bunches/clumps together when fired (I do earthenware so fire the glaze to 1060- which is what the packet says) and also doesn’t apply easily- it dries before I’ve had a chance to properly spread it with the brush.

does anyone have advice on how to combat this? Am I meant to mix something else in to it or fire it higher...?

im quite new to this so any advice is greatly appreciated :)

B3A42A11-E49F-483A-9B0C-47BBD7644F45.jpeg

What you got there is what the experts like to refer to as 'crawling'. It means that for one of a handful of reasons the glaze basically didn't like the surface of the clay you're using and is trying to get away from it. Sometimes this is desirable but usually not. That's a very groggy clay you're using, it almost looks like fireclay, is it some kind of sculpture clay maybe?

Glazes do tend to dry very quickly when they hit the dry surface of clay, they don't apply like regular paint at all really, but the industry makes a product, -I bought mine in powered form alongside my powered glazes, that will increase the flow and ease of application. I just know it as glaze gel but some helpful person here will certainly tell you exactly what it is I'm sure. It will be useful to you to do a search term for "Crawling" on the forums, you'll find lots of discussions about it, the causes could vary. 

If the surface sucks up the glaze too rapidly, you can pre-wet the clay (dip small pieces or spray-on-water-as-you-go on bigger ones).  It might be that your glaze is better applied by dipping, pouring or spraying. Brushing can often result in uneven application. 

Since the piece is a fantasy animal anyway, you could make a virtue of this first splotchy layer and add another coat of the same or a different glaze that fires at the same or lower temp, creating a uniquely textured unicorn coat. 

you can make a glaze more "painterly" by adding stuff to it. CMC or glycerin come to mind.

Big glaze mop brush.

absolutely dust free clay

glaze I would suggest thinner and given a number of coats.

first coat into crevices and other coats lay as opposed to press the glaze on

and yes it will suck it up.

keep stirring the glaze throughout procedure.

Archived