Fast Firing

MaggieT

I need help.  I replaced all my elements, thermocouple, etc as I have been having terrible firings.  I contacted my Kiln controller provider (Bartlett)as my kiln is firing 35 degrees lower than it should be. He suggested that I lower my the Cone Offset to 9010 and fire my glaze firing to fast glaze.  It fired approximately 5 hours (Usually it fires for 7 hours).  It reached the proper cone 6 but all my glazes (which are cone 6 glazes) are washed out - the colour is not there.  Does anyone have any suggestions.  

Maggie

P.S. The cone was a perfect 6 ....(7) wasn't even starting to bend.  The plate in the picture is the colour that I usually get - nice blue.  The mug is all washed out (it looks like the oxides have been burned out).

CONES.JPG

MUG.JPG

Did you have cones in to verify it reached cone 6 and didn’t fire hotter? Did your glazes run more than usual? Pinholes, blisters? Change in glaze application? If you would post a picture of your pots that might help too.

Welcome to the forum!

Yes, I had cones in - I have attached the files.... perfect 6.  Glaze didn't run more than usual (actually, it was a great firing except for the fact that the colour was burned out).  No pinholes, blisters etc.  The glaze is the same one that I always use - no change in the application.

Hi Maggie, welcome to the Forums...The fast firing could be the problem...not enough heatwork time to let the glazes to develop properly. You might try again, refiring the pieces with a 20 minute hold at the end, or go back to your original firing schedule with the 35 degree offset and see what happens.

JohnnyK

Lots of glazes don't respond well to fast firings. It's not only that they're not spending as long in the kiln, but also that the kiln is going to cool a little fast since the bricks haven't had as long to absorb heat. I would go back to a slower firing. If the cone offset is correct, it should be correct at either speed.

Glazes respond to time and temperature .Not just a set point like cone 6 end point

That said a cone 6 at 5 hours will look a lot different than a cone 6 at 9 hours.

The glaze has no maturing time in a fast fire.

You just found the out with your fast fire.

Archived