Malcolm Davis CT Shino (Redart Question)

GreyBird

Hi Everyone, 

So like every beginner I am going through my "Shino" discovery phase :) I've mixed up my own Malcolm Davis Carbon Trap Shino of course based on all the gorgeous images I found on the internet... That's the look I want! Even all the wacky variations. Except, of course, for the one I got which is basically just brick red. (see attached) The clay body was a white stoneware and it was fired in a Gas reduction environment to cone 10 at the studio I being to. I have no control over firing schedule and from what I've read MD CT Shino requires Reduction early on for the Carbon Trap. But still, I'm wondering if I can do better than this (brick red) The recipe I used was this:

Malcolm Davis Shino 
Soda Ash: 16.3
OM-4:  13
EPK: 17
Minspar: 9.3
Neph Sy: 38.6
Red Art: 5.7

IMG_2097.JPG.f51668c48ccd49012a358d5efee7b6ba.JPG

I am wondering if I cut the redArt in half, or even leave it out entirely, if that would help. Anyone else have experience with this? The markings you see are where I painted on Wax Resist. I then let the piece sit for a few weeks.

I am mixing up a new batch tomorrow.

Hi Terri (Correct name?) Thanks for the reply! That's almost the same recipe. How did yours come out? Got any photos? What clay body do you use? My Grey's name is Dayo and she is my princess :) I LOVE parrots and also have two Cockatoos. They all keep me quite busy and on my toes. I was just reading another post on the topic and now I want to buy the book mentioned: American Shino The Glaze Of A Thousand Faces But it's $120.00!

-Mary :)

Names right! It was so long ago I can't remember but a less expensive book with lots of Shino recipes ( and other high fire recipes)  is by John Britt. I like Penn State with lots of carbon trapping.

We have cockatiels and they are pretty nice too! Is your book available at the library?

Terri, I wil look for the John Britt Book, Thanks! Cockatiels are awesome. Little guys with huge personalities :) 

Neil, Like so many others, I unfortunately have no control over the firing schedule so just trying to improve results within the parameters I have to work with. Thanks!

Archived