Annoying rust spots in pugmill

sine

Have an old 2nd hand Rathcliffe pugmill made in Stoke in Trent in the uk.

Started to get rust spots around the grate so removed it totally. Now sadly just below the grate area is more rusty

spots and the large nut inside the main cylinder. 

Wondering if there's any product out there to combat this or has anyone found an inventive way around this problem?

Thanks a lot 

There are several products available that convert rust to a non reactive coating.  I use them most for automobile repair etc.  How long they last will be dependent on how much abrasions is present at the rust spots.  As far as the nut goes, you could look for a stainless steel nut that would fit.   Google Rust Converters to see all of the various products available.  

Thanks a lot for the replies, Viking Potter, Chilly and Mark. 

Think I'm just stuck with the rust maybe, finding out about sealants and all say will not last long, and probably contaminate the clay..

Will give sand blasting a go and replacing the nut in cylinder with stainless steel one and see how that goes

Many thanks again for your suggestions :)

Ha! Stout grease! D'ya know, I wouldn't be surprised if many a workman/woman/creator/inventor/fixer up er/DIY er all over the 

globe, has found that by putting a bit of stout/ local beer/ poitín(moonshine) or whatever,  has made their  machine/device/brain work all the better\!!

But thanks for the tip about the dissimilar metals...

Rathliffe co. went out of business yrs ago sadly, but Gladstone LTD. also in Stoke in Trent, UK wrote back- the pugmill is roughly 30-40  yrs old, are still plenty of 

pugmills and wheels knocking around in Ireland & UK- were certainly built to last..They said that the materials/ surface has started to break down, so leaving the metal open 

to oxygen and therefore rust..There's no way really to stop it happening: sandblasting will remove the rust for short time but will come back. 

Any sealant will last short time also but could contaminate the clay- is fine for my saggar work- might create an interesting array of new colours but for transparent glazed over white clay pieces, 

not so good :(

Thanks again

All the best

Sinéad

Archived