Test Cylinder

While throwing this test cylinder, pull enough extra clay to the top; in order to form the catcher. This cylinder would be inverted on your wheel; with the catcher on top when you finish throwing. You can make them tall and narrow, or wide and short: whatever fits your kiln. As you get your recipe dialed in, get the peak temperature correct, and the flux levels correct: you will find little to no glaze in the catcher.

Nerd

"Posted Today, 06:42 PM

"be sure you don't end up, down that burrow, knowing everything about nothing or nothing about everything! "

Babs:

I woke up about six months ago with exactly those thoughts. " I know a lot about clay and crystalline chemistry, and yet I know nothing."

It's like soil science.

Chemistry tick

Then ,b. Me there's the soil, temp, weather, etc etc etc so back to "local" knowledge and there are no absolutes esp when humans are involved .

But it is fun, or at least not boring. And humbling when set against the amazingly beautiful pots made by the ancients and the "peasant potters", my term there.

Pres is now trying to replicate his new baby 😊

...........knowing everything about nothing or nothing about everything!

THAT is when the real journey in your field finally begins.  You are ready to begin to understand.

best,

....................john

Yeh! Knowing that you don't know when perhaps you thought you did!

Someone said to me recently, "you're not Still reading about this stuff....."

Guess I'll never shut the books, no boredom here. And my memory is getting drifty.....sometimes I see a tiny little bit very clearly...then something else changes