Kiln Quandary

Alondene

Is that the element that was broken and replaced? I am not sure there is going to be only one thing causing this problem, it sounds like a strange series of events. It worked happily up to cone6 for some firings then slowed down. After replacing the element it went to cone6 once and then fried at cone10 at the plug.

Nothing really looks burnt or crispy in the wiring. The idea for braiding element ends is to reduce how hot they get as single width heats up.

Everything there looks as it should. Element ends do not have to be twisted. I've installed a lot of elements that aren't.Elements can fry for various reasons, regardless of how old they are. A flaw in the metal, a loose connection, foreign object touching it, etc. If the element fried at the connection on the ceramic block, it could have been a loose connection or a flaw in the element wire itself. As I said before, if it was a loose connection it would arc there, which could affect the power cord and be the cause of your problems. I've seen it twice on my own kiln. The connection gets loose and fries, I cut back the cord to good wire and reconnect it, and a few firings later it fries again. Replacing the cord was the solution both times, even though it looked fine. And we know your power cord took a lot more amperage than it should have.

That said, it looks like there's some darkening of one of the connections on the transformer but I can't tell for sure since it's blurry. How does it look in real life? The transformer should not have been affected by the precious issues, but it's worth looking at.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I thought i would give an update as there may have a break through( fingers tightly crossed).

I was asked to do some further checks:

Check the elements for ohms - no ohms recorded on any of the element circuits.

This lead to a check of the toogle switch with the fuse out - it didn't trip! Well that was like sunshine on a rainy day!

A further check then the toogle to transformer. Fuse back in and the black wire from the toogle switch to the transformer disconnected, fuse in, lid up, lid down. No tripping. Yay!!!

Suggestion now is that it's the transformer. Replacement being sent and eagerly awaited !!!!!

Will post the outcome.

Huh? You should definitely be reading some ohms, or there's something really wrong. Put the meter on the ohm (horseshoe) setting, and touch the probes to the 2 ends of an element. Check that number against factory settings.

Well, I thought i would give an update as there may have a break through( fingers tightly crossed).

I was asked to do some further checks:

This lead to a check of the toogle switch with the fuse out - it didn't trip! Well that was like sunshine on a rainy day!

A further check then the toogle to transformer. Fuse back in and the black wire from the toogle switch to the transformer disconnected, fuse in, lid up, lid down. No tripping. Yay!!!

Suggestion now is that it's the transformer. Replacement being sent and eagerly awaited !!!!!

Will post the outcome.

While the kiln is unplugged start checking beyond the power relay for shorts to ground or between the wires going to the element power terminal.  You should be reading around 17 ohms at that terminal for the  wires that go to the elements.  You should not read anything to ground with your ohmmeter on a high setting on either wire to ground.

David

Archived