What are you looking for under that pot? | Oct. 17, 2011

When I pick up a pot, I always turn it over and look at the bottom. Gallery owners smilingly say they can always recognize potters by this trait. Do you do this too?

WHY??

What are you looking for under that pot when you turn it over?

As always click on the Add Reply key OUTSIDE of the previous message ... (At the top and bottom of the page) ... to add your opinions.

post-1585-131886520182_thumb.jpg

post-1585-131886520182_thumb.jpg

Yes, I do that too. I am interested in a few things, depending on the pot. One is to see who made it, or at least see if they have a chop. Two, I want to see how they finished the bottom, trimmed, wired, or other. Third, I want to see the bare clay, and if the potter decorated up into the trimmed pocket. Fourth, that is where the price is sometimes hidden; you don't have to be a potter to know that one. Other possibilities may exist, but those are my main interests. Sometimes I am surprised with an s-crack!

John L.

The bottom of a pots tell many things, clay,nice finish, signed or not, but the most imp thing it tells is how much the maker cared about the quality of their work. A sloppy or indifferent bottom, messy wax line, not signed neatly, rough, tell me the potter didn't care enough to do it well

The craftsmanship on the bottom of a pot, in my book, is a form of character in terms of pottery values. When I teach my students about this, I say "how does a potter treat the bottom of their pot? It's kind-of the same as asking how do you behave when nobody's looking?"

Mea

Looking at the bottom of any pot I pick up is one of the first things I do, but before looking, I turn the pot over in my hands feeling the heft, telling me a lot about the throwing. When looking, I look at the bottom treatment-foot or unfooted. i look for the clay composition, the way the glaze was justified at the edge of the pot, I look to see if there is a beveled undercut. These things tell me a lot about the overall craftsmanship and care taken on the pot, and the skill level of the potter. One of the first things I warned my students about was to have a smooth finished bottom, and an undercut or foot to set off the pot. I told them I didn't want any mothers coming in complaining about their scratched up coffee tables!

Absolutely I do this.

I'm not exposed to a lot of other potters in real life (I'm kind of out there geographically).

Every time I pick up another potter's work, I learn something.

A little more about trimming, how much smoother my pots could be...

Someimes you have to hold a pot and turn it over in your hands to understand what makes it a really successful pot.

I think attention to the less visible details shows a thoughtful potter and its something I am learning to pay attention to.

Archived