I need kiln help- newbee

GRIB

Hello friends. I am very new at this. I have been taking pottery (handbuilding) classes for several months and absolutely love it. A couple of weekends ago, I purchased a used kiln. We are having it wired in this weekend. The kiln I got is a Duncan EA-820 and has an LT-3K kiln sitter on it. On the kiln sitter there are two dials. The upper dial turns to the following settings: *off *Hi-Fire *Ceramic *Overglaze. The lower dial can be set to hours 1 through 20. My question is, when I go to bisque fire it, what on Earth do I set it to? How many hours? Do I set the other dial on Ceramic for the bisque fire? I'm so lost. I plan on firing to bisque cone 04 and glaze cone 05 because that's what we did in class. If anyone can please help me, I would so sincerely appreciate it. THANK YOU! -Frances

post-6841-13165707453276_thumb.jpg

post-6841-13165707453276_thumb.jpg

Hello friends. I am very new at this. I have been taking pottery (handbuilding) classes for several months and absolutely love it. A couple of weekends ago, I purchased a used kiln. We are having it wired in this weekend. The kiln I got is a Duncan EA-820 and has an LT-3K kiln sitter on it. On the kiln sitter there are two dials. The upper dial turns to the following settings: *off *Hi-Fire *Ceramic *Overglaze. The lower dial can be set to hours 1 through 20. My question is, when I go to bisque fire it, what on Earth do I set it to? How many hours? Do I set the other dial on Ceramic for the bisque fire? I'm so lost. I plan on firing to bisque cone 04 and glaze cone 05 because that's what we did in class. If anyone can please help me, I would so sincerely appreciate it. THANK YOU! -Frances

I am not familiar with this particular kiln, however-below dial is your kiln sitter. Above dial seems to be your temp/power selector switch. Your setting would be lowest at the underglaze, highest at the high fire. You would start turning the up a little at a time to reach the temp of the cone that you have set up in the sitter. You should see to little tabs coming out of a ceramic rod with a wire between them. With a cone/bar between the kiln would shut off when that amount of heat work is met.

Some one else here may have more experience with this particular set up, but that should get you started. I would also look on line and see if you can find a manual for the Duncan kiln.

The image you sent makes me a little nervous ... looks like someone wired the knob off an old oven to the top. Homemade jobs always make me wonder if they knew what they were doing. I would make sure this was wired right. Ask the electrician who comes to install the unit to check it.

Good eye, Chris!

I'm curious if the 'broil' setting is what you would use for steaks or kabobs .... biggrin.gif

Oooops! Forgot... not recommended to eat (or roast things) in the studio.

The image you sent makes me a little nervous ... looks like someone wired the knob off an old oven to the top. Homemade jobs always make me wonder if they knew what they were doing. I would make sure this was wired right. Ask the electrician who comes to install the unit to check it.

I also noticed the top dial looked like it came from an electric stove (Broil setting sort of gave it away). How can you determine anything from that except through experimentation?

funny.... I noticed the same thing and thought to myself "that seems odd" but figured that perhaps there are broil settings in pottery? I'm not expert by any means just a beginner as well. I'm glad someone spoke up if it is indeed a replacement knob.

As Chris mentioned previously, .... ask the electrician coming to install the unit, to check it out.

It could be that the previous owner had just damaged the plastic knob on the exterior and found a quick and cheap replacement. It may in fact have nothing to do with the internal rheostat behind that knob.... the electrician could check tell you more about that.

Ha! My husband says the kiln would be perfect for pizzas!

Good eye, Chris!

I'm curious if the 'broil' setting is what you would use for steaks or kabobs .... biggrin.gif

Oooops! Forgot... not recommended to eat (or roast things) in the studio.

The kiln is all wired and the electrician said he knows basically nothing about kilns....just that they need a seperate breaker, etc. Ok.... so the lady I bought the kiln from replaced this knob. Her child pulled the original knob off. It doesn't matter what the knob says, what matters is what the kiln settings are. There are only three settings on my kiln.....Hi-Fire, Ceramic and Overglaze. All I need to know is which setting I need to use for a bisque firing. According to the manual, I use "ceramic." But doesn't the kiln need to warm up slowly over hours or "soak?" I just did a glaze firing on the ceramic setting and it was only 4 hours. Shouldn't the bisque firing take longer than that? I mean, the kiln doesn't know if the pieces are glazed or not.

Ok. You Must READ THE MANUAL!!!

First contact Paragon about replacing the knob. Did you read the Manual? Did you do your test firing? Did you set the limit/timer for enough time? Did you place the proper cone in the setter?

It is not like a toaster or a coffee maker you must read the manual. Sit down with a pencil and pad for note taking while you READ THE MANUAL!!! It may take you days to get through it all but it is worth it. Consider the kiln and manual as gold because it is. I commend you for seeking an electrician's advice but don't dive into firing so quickly. You have a lot to learn about your kiln and this is the best time to do it.

I read the entire manual cover to cover. I did my first glaze firing last night. Low fire clay, low fire glaze, cone 06.....came out perfect. I'm not sure anyone is understanding my question..... the manual says nothing about how to bisque fire. All it says is set to ceramic and it will fire between come 01 and cone 07. Ok, so I know that. What I need to know is how do I set the kiln so the bisque soaks. My "ceramic" setting glaze firing came out perfect but was done in 4 hours. I know that bisque can't be done in four hours. How do I set it so I can let the temps go up GRADUALLY? It's ok if no one knows....... I'm just not sure anyone is understanding what I need to know. Yep, did test firing, did everything the manual said. Cover to cover. I called my clay supplier (sells kilns too) he said that the knob will work, and it does. There are no markings on the KILN for gradual (manual) temperature rising (soaking).

Ok. You Must READ THE MANUAL!!!

First contact Paragon about replacing the knob. Did you read the Manual? Did you do your test firing? Did you set the limit/timer for enough time? Did you place the proper cone in the setter?

It is not like a toaster or a coffee maker you must read the manual. Sit down with a pencil and pad for note taking while you READ THE MANUAL!!! It may take you days to get through it all but it is worth it. Consider the kiln and manual as gold because it is. I commend you for seeking an electrician's advice but don't dive into firing so quickly. You have a lot to learn about your kiln and this is the best time to do it.

First ... Bisque does not need to soak ... Glazes are improved by soaking but bisque is improved by the whole firing going slower. Soaking means holding the kiln at the highest temp for a period of time.

One way to slow it down might be to leave the lid cracked open for the first couple hours. If you have peep holes they could be left open too.

Then close the lid, then later close the peep holes.

Dont do this if the kiln is in the house ... Only if it is outside in a well ventilated area. You do not want the fumes in your home or in your work area while you are there.

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! Ok.... so I will try again and leave the holes open and the lid propped a tiny bit. I also found another answer...... instead of directly setting it to the 'ceramic' setting (too hot too fast for bisque)...... I can turn the dial all the way clockwise and that will be the lowest setting- even tho there's no marking on the kiln that says "low". (just before it goes back to off) I can set it at the lowest setting and gradually move it counter clockwise to increase the temp over about 6 hours before leaving it on the ceramic setting. Thank you also for clarifying what "soak" means. Ok.... going off to reload my kiln and start it SLOWLY. I WILL get the hang of this. The manual is not very helpful. :-( It says nothing about HOW to bisque fire - only what cone to use for what clay. My kiln is outside. Thank you for your helpful answer!!!!!

First ... Bisque does not need to soak ... Glazes are improved by soaking but bisque is improved by the whole firing going slower. Soaking means holding the kiln at the highest temp for a period of time.

One way to slow it down might be to leave the lid cracked open for the first couple hours. If you have peep holes they could be left open too.

Then close the lid, then later close the peep holes.

Dont do this if the kiln is in the house ... Only if it is outside in a well ventilated area. You do not want the fumes in your home or in your work area while you are there.

Your manual does tell you how to bisque fire go to pages 13-14 of your manual and there it states how to fire your ‘Duncan EA’ kiln. They give you steps for firing under ‘Operating Instructions’. Low is 1.

You need to believe what the manufacturer is telling you. If you need more help there are several books on the subject of how to fire electric kilns. Richard Zakin has one and an excerpt was made available by CAD. If you do a search at the top of this page you will find it. Your library is also a good source.

Nope, not there. Pages 13 - 14 talk about record keeping and kiln wash. No where in my manual does is say how to bisque fire. I have no "1" on my kiln. I sent a picture of it. No worries- got it figured out- found a local expert who was as perplexed as I that there was no bisque firing instructions in my manual.

Your manual does tell you how to bisque fire go to pages 13-14 of your manual and there it states how to fire your ‘Duncan EA’ kiln. They give you steps for firing under ‘Operating Instructions’. Low is 1.

You need to believe what the manufacturer is telling you. If you need more help there are several books on the subject of how to fire electric kilns. Richard Zakin has one and an excerpt was made available by CAD. If you do a search at the top of this page you will find it. Your library is also a good source.

I recently purchased a used Duncan studio kiln and I used a knob off my BBQ to replace the lost upper knob. Thought that was a funny coincidence.

I don't think you need to leave the top open or the peeps out, it has a timer built into the heating element to ramp up the heat slowly.

Orton sells a CD I found very helpful called "SUCCESSFUL FIRING PRACTICES - KEY PRINCIPALS"I found worth the $20. www.ortonceramic.com

Archived