Kiln Placement At Our Home

WellsH

My wife is getting back into pottery after several years, she is currently going to a local instructor and his studio. We have the opportunity to purchase one of his older (great condition) electric kiln. The instructor is going to come over and make sure it is feasible for us. I know I will have to upgrade the electric supply. My concern is where to place the unit. We have a 175 year old home, with a 175 year old low headroom basement, garage is 75 feet from house with no electric, a spare "craft room - old dining room", and finally a uncovered cement pad off the back of house. The craft room is large enough, I can tile floors and should be able to vent kiln without too much problem - but it is under a bedroom and where a pet sleeps at night in a cage, so fumes and heat is a concern. The outdoor cement pad is not covered and I really do not have the funds to build an addition onto the house there. We live in NW - PA so all 4 seasons is a concern as well. Sorry to be so write this much, but wanted to give as much information as possible. Thank you very much, Bob

Welcome to the forum.

Based on the locations you listed, I would suggest either the craft room, but also heavily recommend installing a vent to deal with heat, and fumes. Or use the concrete pad, but build a small covered area for the kiln. All it really needs is a simple roof (like corrugated steel), three walls and an opening. You really don't even need solid walls either. One of the posters here posted pictures of a set up, with tarp walls, that are rolled up when firing, rolled down and secured to protect from the elements.

Best of luck in whatever you decide.

I am in central NH, and we get long cold winters with lots of snow plus our fair share of strong winds and torrential rain. I bought a roll of outdoor heavy duty clear vinyl sheeting (like for a restaurant patio) and had it stapled to custom-made (but very simple) wood frames that latch tightly shut to enclose the kiln behind my trailer. I can open these panels in the heat/nice weather. The roof is wood and the floor is plywood with Hardibacker over it underneath the kiln. The kiln has an Enviro-vent to the outside. The electric is properly wired to inside the house, with a turn on/shut off thing outside. The vinyl is 40 mm and rated to 20 below--a year later it still looks like new, and is as clear as glass.

http://www.mytarp.com/clear-vinyl-40- 

I chose the heavy-duty clear vinyl over tarps because it can stay closed in cold/snow/rain etc. and I get full daylight. Keep in mind that a fair bit of space is needed for ceramics besides the kiln, and, relative to income of course, there is nothing inexpensive about setting up even a small home studio. 

If you have to do it from scratch, I'd be inclined to run power out to the garage. If you can have a sheltered, dry place to load your kiln in the winter, that's a good thing. The fumes are no good in your house, vented or not. Lee's right, it's not always the cheapest hobby ever, and you might have to save up for an electrician to do the job to local code. Check with your insurance company too: they might have something to say about a kiln inside your home.

Thanks again everyone, we will probably build a storage/garden shed on the cement pad.  I have been looking at plans from "Family Handyman" magazine, one with good ventilation and exhaust set-up.  Electrician can wire it from one of the basement electrical boxes which will be close and also just out the door from the craft room.  Thank you again, all of you have been a great help. Bob

Archived