Sponge Holder Prototypes

I have 2 completed prototypes of the "Mark" sponge holders. For anyone not familiar with these sponge holders they are inspired by Mark C and he has written about his version several times here in the forum.

My sponge holders as made using an extruder with a round hollow die. I use Little Loafers Clay and fire to cone 6. You will see the dark blue one has a bit squarer edges that the red and white Pug one. I am going with the red and white Pug version. These were very quick to make which is exactly what I was looking for. I have some additional ones started but not completed and plan to do them in all my patterns and colors so they will go with each line I do. I will probably also do some like I do my spoon rests and make some random "let's see what this color combination will do". The weirdest colors on the spoon rests always seem to sell first and I am interested to see if this is the case with these as well.

My plan for these for the holidays is to add a large spoon rest and a trivet and offer them as gift sets at festivals and on my website. On a normal basis I will sell them individually of course. Now for the had part, I have to figure out a price for them.

Thank you once again Mark for your inspiring work!

Terry

post-22921-0-13311000-1442184475_thumb.jpg

post-22921-0-73175700-1442184490_thumb.jpg

post-22921-0-73268100-1442184508_thumb.jpg

post-22921-0-13311000-1442184475_thumb.jpg

post-22921-0-73175700-1442184490_thumb.jpg

post-22921-0-73268100-1442184508_thumb.jpg

terry, great idea to make a set in various colors. :) 

i have a recipe for a blue that is even more spectacular than that good blue.  it varies from dark blue to a blue-green that is unpredictable.  when you are ready to give up on the bottles, let me know and i will give it to you.

Oldlady- one day hopefully sooner than I think. I bisque fired the first box that I used the white slip on and it looks good, glaze it next and then I will post it for you to see. Thank you for your help when I called panicking about percentages. You are a good friend.

Marko - the pug is one of my drawings I scanned in and turned into a laser transfer. Amazingly easy to convert my pen and ink drawings into self printed transfers using a laser printer with iron in the toner. The paper costs about .75-$1 a sheet and the toner lasts a really long time so it's way cheaper than paying someone else to make them plus I'm a bit of a control freak and prefer to do it myself anyway.

I will try and remember to post additional pictures as I get the other colors and patterns fired.

T

I had no issues with warping on the prototypes. I dried them standing upside down and bisque fired them upside down as well, don't know if that had anything to do with it or not. The next batch has some that have textures impressed into them so I will have to wait and see if adding that feature causes any warping or not. I know that the more something is messed with the more likely something will go wrong somewhere along the way, but what's the fun in not messing with them to make them pretty!

Oh and I did not put a hole in the bottom. My thought process on this was you wring out the sponge and place in the holder so should be very little dripping. have no idea if this will hold true or not, one of the prototypes will be living next to my sink so I can try it out and see if any additional tweaking is needed.

T

Archived